Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(just got, used) there are 50 icons of apps but "manage apps" says only 30 apps.

Second, the low mem. The largest app is under 40 MB, but if all 50 apps were actually 40MB that is still only 2 GB... but the warning is that 3.9 GB are in use out of 4.1 GB available (this does not count the 3.7 GB used by 'system').

What is to be done?

There is also a nearly empty (it contains 5 photographs) 32GB SD card. It would be great if I could move apps to this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
(just got, used) there are 50 icons of apps but "manage apps" says only 30 apps.

Second, the low mem. The largest app is under 40 MB, but if all 50 apps were actually 40MB that is still only 2 GB... but the warning is that 3.9 GB are in use out of 4.1 GB available (this does not count the 3.7 GB used by 'system').

What is to be done?

There is also a nearly empty (it contains 5 photographs) 32GB SD card. It would be great if I could move apps to this.
Here is a link on how to move appas to SD card How to move apps to an SD card on Android

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is a link on how to move apps to SD card How to move apps to an SD card on Android
ACES! Delighted with the link. Still wonder about app miscount and how 2 GB of stuff takes 4 GB space (solving the problem is not the same as understanding what is going on here.)

Turns out that none of my apps will migrate to SD (bummer) and turning the SD into internal storage will have to wait till I can move those photos (and some pdfs) to my laptop. My blundering about has resulted in 1GB free space, so I am out of "critical" mode. The app list which I get using the "settings" is more complete than what I got with "google play" (how a website I visited said to manage my apps). I would like to have only one mail app (gmail) but the other is not deletable, same with browser (I want chrome and not "browser" but that one is both not deletable and not functional. "Currents" is not functional, has become not supported, not deletable, and still wants to download updates, which is perhaps the most mysterious thing yet.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
ACES! Delighted with the link. Still wonder about app miscount and how 2 GB of stuff takes 4 GB space (solving the problem is not the same as understanding what is going on here.)

Turns out that none of my apps will migrate to SD (bummer) and turning the SD into internal storage will have to wait till I can move those photos (and some pdfs) to my laptop. My blundering about has resulted in 1GB free space, so I am out of "critical" mode. The app list which I get using the "settings" is more complete than what I got with "google play" (how a website I visited said to manage my apps). I would like to have only one mail app (gmail) but the other is not deletable, same with browser (I want chrome and not "browser" but that one is both not deletable and not functional. "Currents" is not functional, has become not supported, not deletable, and still wants to download updates, which is perhaps the most mysterious thing yet.)
Yea my phone is full of bloatware that can't be deleted either. Sucks but nothing you can do about it without making major changes to the phone. As for the app size/space remaining discrepancy, I think that it is only counting the downloaded apps and not everything on the phone that is taking up space.
There is a way to offload your contacts and temporarily save them onto your computer and then import them back in after you preform a factory reset. A factory reset is recommended when buying a used phone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea my phone is full of bloatware that can't be deleted either. Sucks but nothing you can do about it without making major changes to the phone. As for the app size/space remaining discrepancy, I think that it is only counting the downloaded apps and not everything on the phone that is taking up space.
There is a way to offload your contacts and temporarily save them onto your computer and then import them back in after you preform a factory reset. A factory reset is recommended when buying a used phone.
Attempt to follow instructions in link failed. At step "tap on SD card & Format as Internal". I cannot find an option to format as internal anywhere. Maybe it is cuz Android Version 5.1? This was orig an AT&T "Go Phone". I'll drop into their place during business hrs tomorrow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what the AT&T person told me: the NEXT higher version of this phone offers the SD-->internal option (people must have been clamoring) but this phone, you are stuck. So I can have 32GB of DATA (something I have never accomplished even on a computer) but only 8 GB of app space, which is just 2 GB cuz OS and the bloatware use 6GB. But consider this query closed.

·
Global Moderator
51,472 Posts
Attempt to follow instructions in link failed. At step "tap on SD card & Format as Internal". I cannot find an option to format as internal anywhere. Maybe it is cuz Android Version 5.1? This was orig an AT&T "Go Phone". I'll drop into their place during business hrs tomorrow.
Android 5.1 is no longer supported, and many applications won't run on it. Most phones can be upgraded to one of the later Android versions, have you considered that?

As for backing up contacts, you can move them all over to GMAIL contacts and then they're in the cloud, a factory reset of the phone won't affect them. Also, you can disable many of the included applications, even though you can't uninstall them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Android 5.1 is no longer supported, and many applications won't run on it. Most phones can be upgraded to one of the later Android versions, have you considered that?

As for backing up contacts, you can move them all over to GMAIL contacts and then they're in the cloud, a factory reset of the phone won't affect them. Also, you can disable many of the included applications, even though you can't uninstall them.
I'd be happy to upgrade the OS, tho I would have thought that if it detected an OS upgrade it would have downloaded it (It auto-updates all the apps, whether I use them or not). How would I go about finding the upgrade? (Very new to phone and google-play, which seems to be the upgrade hub.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts