Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: ASRock K7VT6, Athlon 2600, Windows XP.

Was working fine and I forgot to turn it off yesterday afternoon. Came back 2 hours later and instead of being on hibernation the power supply was running, screen blank and the hard drive light was on, but no hard drive activity. I couldn't wake up so I hit the reset, nothing changed so I turned the main power off. Now when I try to power up, the power supply starts,
the CD light blinks and the HD light comes on, stays on and that's it. The BIOS does not seem to be starting. I cannot get into the BIOS on start up. There is never even a flicker on the screen, and the HD light is on with or without the HD connected. I tried a spare working Power Supply with the same results.
It looks like I have a BIOS or Motherboard failure but how do I start to check it out? I saw the stickey on ground checking the MB will start on that while I wait for some replys.
Thanks, Jim

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have probably already checked, but maybe the monitor is not working and all else is OK and you just can't see it. Do you hear the single startup beep?

Chk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still not running (tried all the suggestions)

I still have the same problem and here is a update on what I have done:

1. Went thru the multimeter (sticky) check list, PSU is OK. All voltages on
ATX connector OK. All ATX ground circuits on MB OK.
2. Removed all components and connectors from MB & reinstalled
3. Cleared CMOS by jumper, and also tried to clear by removing the battery.

So I am stuck in the same place ... Try to power up and all you get is the fans running (PSU,CPU & Video). The CD light blinks a few times and the Power and HD led's light up and both stay lit. That's it, Nothing on the screen, no single Beep, nothing.
It does the exact same thing with all components connected or nothing connected.
I have tried a spare PSU and Monitor with the same results.

I'm new to this and could be wrong but it looks to me like either a MB, CPU or BIOS failure. Are there any other checks I can do to pinpoint the problem ?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
455 Posts
The only other thing is memory,if you've got two sticks try them one at a time.
You may need to clear the CMOS each time as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.