Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my users has a zip disk full of importiant files she doesn't have on her PC (she missed the whole idea of using the Zip as a portable backup, and has been using it as exclusive file storage. I know- nice.)

The disk will read on any machine you insert it into, but when you try and access a file on it it throws a 'read only' error and can't open. The files on this disk ARE NOT protected, and should be accessable- and were before this error presented.

Further, out of 54 files only twenty or so are visible on when you brouse out to the disk.

Can someone help me with:

1) Cause- how did this happen?

2) Recovery- is it possible to get these files back, and if so, can you recomend a recovery utility?

3) Prevention- how to prevent this in the future (beyond the obvious- back up your files!!!).

Thanks

-Ben

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Cause: It's a Zip drive, and they're pretty fragile. That's why I have a bunch of them in a big box in my closet!

Recovery: That's a mystery, this kind of problem is why I stopped using Zip disks.

Prevention: Stop using Zip disks!

I'd see if the Zip utilities offer any help in recovering the files, but I don't hold out much hope. Does the utility package say the disk is healthy, or what?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.