Tech Support banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 10 Home (64-bit, Build 18363)

Literally every time I turn off and start up this laptop (unless it's a soft restart), it performs a checkdisk at startup.

How I shut down my Laptop: Windows Menu > Power > Shut Down - wait 2 minutes, close laptop, unplug laptop.
I have a mouse and a headset plugged in constantly. (I know sometimes USB can cause this issue?)

Windows has been updated completely. I have run a scan with Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Bitdefender - no malware to be found so far.

I have run an sfc /scannow in CMD, it detected nothing. I have also run chkdsk /f (As suggested by the eventviewer).

I have downloaded and installed Intel Memory and Storage tool, and run a diagnostic on the drive and it goes to 100% and all is "green" for the health of the SSD. I updated the firmware of the drive from 002 to 004 through this utility as well.

Eventviewer says: Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume3) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

I have done that.
Eventviewer also has these warnings/errors (unsure if related):
DCOM got error "1115" attempting to start the service SecurityHealthService with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_27C6&PID_521D\6&26ef9c29&0&3.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
What am I doing wrong? :(

If I have to reformat - is there a way to keep my files? Or do I need to do a full one?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,786 Posts
Elevated Command Prompt>chkntfs /x + whatever disc you don't want checked any more. Example C:

Reactions: NiveusT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!

I know your method will basically shut off the disk check that auto happens at startup, right? Is there a way to triple check that nothing is going to be harmed by turning this off? Like if it's just.. Constantly repairing it when I start up windows and prevents it from messing up further? I'm a bit worried because:

I have noticed that when I go to This PC > right click C: > Properties > Tools Tab > Error Checking - (Check) - It quickly says I have errors.
I also can't do a system restore as this message pops up:
The disk OS (C:) has errors.
Windows has detected file system corruption on the OS (C:). You must check disk errors before blah blah blah.
but all else looks to be in order. As mentioned in my original post... Aside from those event viewer issues.

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
When a drive automatically runs a Check Disk at startup, then it is marked as "Dirty" running chkntfs /x will turn off the "Dirty" bit.
You then should start a Command Prompt as Admin and type chkdsk /R and press Enter, then type a Y for Yes and Restart the computer. At next bootup, Check Disk will again start, but it will check for Bad Sectors (Errors) it will try and fix them, do this overnight, as it will probably take a long time. If Check Disk is still running the next day or it seems stuck, then the Drive has too many Bad Sectors and it needs to be replaced.
You can also download HDTune in my hidden Signature. Not Pro. Go to the Error Scan tab and run a full Error Scan, not Quick. Again, this will take some time. If all of the blocks are Green, then the drive is Healthy. If any of the blocks are RED then the there is no reason to finish the test, the drive needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, so I started an elevated command prompt.
chkntfs /x C:
It returns "The type of file system is NTFS." (That's all it's meant to return?)
When I type chkdsk /R
It returns "The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process- Blah blah check at restart?" and I do Y and hit enter.
I restarted.
It runs a chkdsk for like, 2 minutes, then starts up Windows 10 as if nothing happened.

Did I mess something up?

EDIT: I ran HDTune error scan and all the squares are green.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update:
So, in several "chkdsk" instances, it doesn't show the errors, so I went into the command prompt in safe mode or what not... I ran a chkdsk /f, chkdsk /e /x /s or something like that, etc. and it says nothing is wrong... Then I ran a "normal" chkdsk (literally only typed "chkdsk") and it popped up some errors.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors . . .
Security descriptor veficiation completed. 7 data files processed.
Errors detected in the uppercase file.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Run chkdsk with the /f (fix) option to correct these.

blah blah

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.
So I did the "chkdsk /f" AND the chkdsk with the /r command... And it completed... But it doesn't fix the issue at all. Even in safe mode or what not...

What can I do at this point?

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
Are you running the command in a Command Prompt (Admin) in Windows or from the Recovery Environment? If running from the RE Hidden drives like the 500 MB System Reserved drives get a C: drive letter, and Windows becomes another drive letter. If in the RE
At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive. Adjust the Check Disk command to reflect this drive letter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was trying it in both... However... It seems to have fixed itself somehow. No idea what it was that did it. After dealing with this for the past 8 hours or so, it just decided it was time at the last restart I did to fix itself.

Thank you very much for your help and time and trying to help me. Appreciate it a lot!!

Is there a way to mark it as solved?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts