Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I belong to a group on YT that discusses not only other channels but certain segments of society from an legal educational perspective. Some of the people we discuss have channels themselves that they wind up losing because YT deletes them and bans them for lots of various reasons. One particular person came up in discussion between myself and one of the more prominent, senior members of the community because the person has had something like 11 channels banned by YT and he just keeps coming back and creating new channels. The senior member of the group and I were discussing the situation from a technological perspective of how can they stop him from coming back and she referenced they can track his IP address and I countered with but he can circumvent that by DHCP and also if he is tech savvy enough (which is really doubtful because the guy is always on YT smoking dope (seriously, yes, he's always wearing a self wrapped turban toking on a fat blunt) doing diatribes because he lives in his mom's basement and has no friends and no girlfriend and cannot get a job because he is so delusional no one will hire him. The senior group member then countered me back with a comment that has me seeking confirmation on her comment. (We'll call her VT) VT stated that she believes they can still track the computer's MAC address through the VPN (that is if he is using one - I doubt he uses one and although I could ask him and I know he'd be polite and reply - I don't want to give him any ideas to help this delusional person - if you watched any of his videos you would agree with my decision).

So, I bring these questions here to the forums. I am not talking about YT TV I am talking about their basic platform for watching videos and uploading videos and doing live-streams and to make playlists. How does YT know if users are utilizing a VPN? Do they have any methods of circumventing them? Do they have any value for masking an identity to prevent YT from discovering a new account is from a person previously banned? This final question is probably a "NO" but want to ask anyway since I am here. I am a good person that just likes to speak my mind and say what I feel and I don't make death threats and I am not a racist or anything like that and I am not related to anyone in the KKK or Jihad Elmi (Ilhan Omar) or anyone in the terrorist countries and don't want to be an Isis bride and I am anti BLM and anti ANTIFA, I am a GOOD PERSON, I love puppies, kittens and put spiders outside the my windows alive. I had a YT account for several years and was not a content publisher just a watcher and participant in live streams but some idiot didn't like something I said and reported me to the YT Nazis and got me banned. I appealed, they said "guess again and drop dead don't call us we won't call you". Is there any way that I can get access to my playlists to recreate them on the NEW account I already created and I am using? I am thinking "a resounding no" which won't kill me but I know techs are creative AND resourceful so I figured I'd still ask.

Thank you for listening.....I really eagerly look forward to the answers..........

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
Without total disclosure, yes the site can tell you're using a VPN. You Tube doesn't take down a flagged video without at least one staff member viewing it and making a decision. I take it you used the proper "G" appeals process. If so, their decision is final.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply but I want to clarify something that I think you didn’t read correctly. This is not about a flagged video. I am not a content provider. This is a general question about general functionality. I am seeking to get a technological understanding from both a user standpoint and a computer technological professional standpoint. I am a computer help desk analyst for 25 years in the business I am additionally upgrading my skill set by going to computer certification school right now. I am simply seeking to understand how it is possible for YouTube or a similar platform to technologically recognize a user is making use of a VPN as well as being able to track a user. I am also again seeking to understand how they can track a user Who is channel has been removed regardless of whether they provide content as in the case of the dope smoker or in my case where I am a simple watcher and participant who does not upload content. In both cases we have lost our channels for various reasons but were able to simply create a new Gmail/Google user account and then go ahead and create a new YouTube account and get back on the YouTube platform. My friend in the community I belong to as I stated believes that Mac addresses can be tracked even when a person is on VPN and I am seeking to find out if that is true. oh I am believing it is not true and I am believing that because it logically does not make sense because it would render using a VPN pointless.

So again to reiterate it has nothing to do with any particular video content having been uploaded.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
27,729 Posts
All the answers to your questions are readily available with a little research. I'll start you off by saying that your MAC address, assigned by the maker of your hardware, doesn't even reach the internet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not a beginner, but I do thank you for the guide. My questions are deeper than a beginner's guide. My questions again are:

1. How does the plain old YT (not YT TV) know if a channel holder is using a VPN?

2. Does YT care if a channel holder, regardless of them being or not being a content creator uses a VPN?

3. Can a MAC address be traced through a VPN?

4. How can YT stop a banned person from simply creating a new YT channel and then if they are a content creator just putting themselves back in business time after time especially if they use a VPN when they are doing their work on YT?

5. Is there any advantage to using a VPN while being on YT?
Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
27,729 Posts
Will a VPN hide your location? YES. If there's reason for a site to be suspicious of the VPN user, then NO. You're asking for technical answers, but what you're missing is that You Tube, even without AI, still has employees with some G2.

·
Moderator , Security Team
991 Posts
1. A VPN may hide your address, but it does not hide its own address, and since the addresses of VPN servers are not generally kept secret, then if you have the resources of YT, it's not exactly hard to know whether a subscriber is using one to connect to you..

2. Does YT care ..... ask them, because they're the only ones who can answer that question.

3. If you're connecting to anyone using a VPN, then as far as the end contact is concerned, then they are being connected to by the VPN server, and the only connection details they will be able to derive are those of that server.

4. You don't need to know the address of a content creator to recognise their content, and I imagine YT have a whole bunch of algorithms that can analyse content for similarities with previously banned content, and thus recognise the "new" creator of that content.

5. Advantage to who ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not a beginner, but I do thank you for the guide. My questions are deeper than a beginner's guide. My questions again are:

1. How does the plain old YT (not YT TV) know if a channel holder is using a VPN?

2. Does YT care if a channel holder, regardless of them being or not being a content creator uses a VPN?

3. Can a MAC address be traced through a VPN?

4. How can YT stop a banned person from simply creating a new YT channel and then if they are a content creator just putting themselves back in business time after time especially if they use a VPN when they are doing their work on YT?

5. Is there any advantage to using a VPN while being on YT?
Sincerely,

Wonder Woman
Devon also dinks a seamoss smoothie "for his health" before he resumes smoking. Best wishes to yourself and Virgo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts