Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says, the youtube vids my friends send cannot be clicked on and played in youtube due to a device error. You tube thinks my Win 7 home computer is a device? What is up with that?
I have run virus, malware, spyware and AVG scans to no avail, nothing harmful found. Have cleared cache using Ccleaner and internet options.

I'm using IE 11 , Gigabyte MB Athlon APU 8g Ram 1tb hard drive
win 7 home

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,694 Posts
Are you receiving via web-mail or via a client like Outlook? Is the link a hyperlink? Word for word, what's the actual message including error code if any?

·
28,694 Posts
Does that answer and subsequent post explain it or are others able to view what you can't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What subsequent post? The link that I get says my desktop computer is not affected. Yet ....it is. And the others sending the youtube videos in emails to me are using desktop computers that are not affected. According to Google and Youtube. As well the software we are using is not affected. The browsers are not affected, Yet they are.
Yes others are seeing what I am not, for this particular case.
I started receiving a black youtube screen, that looks like this
in incoming emails with utube videos in them.
Where before I was seeing a youtube video display with the preview of the content just like normal.
Curiously, there is a link also that comes with the above graphic, and I can use it to access the utube vid and it works. I think this is because the sender has copy/pasted the share link and also the url in his address bar.

·
28,694 Posts
By subsequent post I really meant, the links you posted. Sorry. In the "Device" link it mentions Web Browsers no longer supported. Since you're viewing mail on the web (Outlook.com), what browser and what version are you using? You say IE11, but check and make sure. Also try another browser, go to your mail there after you've made arrangements with sender, have them send a new video.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I have been specifically using IE 11.0.9600.17801 with update
11.0.19 .
I am using Chrome Version 42.0.2311.152 m
the incoming emails sent to me with a utube video preview do the same thing in both browsers. They display this;

However the utube video url below it can be clicked on and is usable in both browsers. It takes me to Youtube and the video page and plays normally.
So why am I getting the "devicesupport" alert graphic with start button video link contained within? :banghead:
BTW I also have a wifi setup and have a smart phone and have played some Utube videos on it before, rarely though. Is this going out to everybody?

·
28,694 Posts
Send yourself a video from the official Youtube site. See what happens. I'm trying to determine if the problem lies with the sender.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,883 Posts
Try removing the m. (indicates that the page supplies a version suitable for mobile devices). Copy/paste the link into your browser, remove the m. and hit Enter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Send yourself a video from the official Youtube site. See what happens. I'm trying to determine if the problem lies with the sender.
already done it same result

are you guys understanding that the devicesupport graphic/youtube window thing akes me to youtube/devicesupprt video and it does it with the regular url not the "m" one when i click on it.
however underneath this youtube device support screen shot thing the standalone link IS usable and functions as normal?! it takes me to the music video but the black box does not.

and yes I understand the difference in the urls one is mobile one is not
however I cannot take the "m" out of a url that doesn't exist with it?
I don't want to go to the devicesupport video that is precisely the point of this request for help.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,883 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all this happened after the Google takeover... now it seems that I get some that have a preview and are OK... definitely strange

·
28,694 Posts
all this happened after the Google takeover... now it seems that I get some that have a preview and are OK... definitely strange
Or perhaps the upgrade to Windows10.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or perhaps the upgrade to Windows10.
No. Two reasons. Look at when I started this thread, 05/15, and Win 10 didn't come out until 07/15. This problem started happening months before I started a thread about it. And google took over youtube in late 2014.

Secondly, I have Win 7 on this machine. Haven't upgraded this one yet. :)

Now this problem only occurs sporadically and I think it has something to do with the videos themselves. I now get functioning youtube vid links with previews that are normal in emails from friends, and some that are not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.