Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The one thing you must realize when you buy a computer from a Mass Producer is they buy parts in quanity at very cheap prices. This means the accept bids or offers from venders that will give them the best price. No matter how good the quality of the product is. This is why you hear horror stories like. My Dell has gone through 3 motherboards or HP is a piece of Cr*p. These are good for the normal consumer but not on par for tech savey people. If you want a custom system and you don't want to put it together yourself, I would suggest visiting your local shop and tell them what you want. This way you know what goes into the system.

I do have to say that Voodoo does make some fine machines.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea. big manufacturers scare me. they be moreso a hybrid of cheap parts and also are integrated with eachother, like a modem/soundcard all in one card. leave it to HP for that lol. yea. but mostly just kinda inquiring about what kindsa things r good for a particular type of system and i am going to build one myself.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
This really would depend on what you favor AMD or Intel. I am a big fan of the later and knowledge of current AMD is minimal.
For starters any processors that support 64 bit is a must, since this will be a norm in the future.

Fast dual channel memory helps, not just the speed but the latancy. Look at the underlying specs.

For gaminig, a couple of WD Raptor drives in a RAID 0 array.

PSUs. Power Supplies are one of the most often overlooked item of a PC. Make sure you buy one not based on the wattage, but look at amperage output on the individual rails to make sure that it is sufficiecnt. Get a name brand like Antec or Enermax.

Video cards. Video cards are probably the biggest items that will loose it's value the fastest. Do not buy cutting edge GFX cards. Buy last years model or third or forth best model. The price of a top of the line card can be cut in half in 6 months time.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Build it yourself.You will have the support and help from tsf to see you through it and at the end you will have a top setup that cost you a lot less than retail and you will be proud of your acheivement and be able to say "i built this system"

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Kodi makes a good point! TSF members support eachother 100%. All the systems I own I built myself (except the laptop...) and they work fantastic. All the PCs my friends own I built for them and are also fantastic. All my friends who bought prebuilts are coming to me for repairs! :p

If you don't feel you can do it then finding a local shop is the best route to follow. hell, I'd do it if you'd be willing to pony up shipping. I won't charge for building. :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i am more than likely going to build one myself. i have one i had built and another i built. [the one i built just needs a processor (but i am ganking that from this machine here {the one i had built} and getting a new MoBo and CPU {AMD SLI board} for this machine.)] but thanks again. i was kinda moreso lookign for ideas as to what combos work for what systems and or what kind of box i wanna build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.