Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,571 Posts
A scam is a falsehood meant to deceive in order to solicit monies, so if you can explain to me how a program like Microsoft Defender, which is free, is doing that, then I'd be interested to know.

At the moment you just look like an Ostrich, sticking it's head in the sand, and hoping that any dangers will pass you by, and I wish you well with that tactic.

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
Certainly you're entitled to your opinion. I won't try to change your mind, but I will feel free to disagree with you! :D

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,533 Posts
I think antivirus/antispyware software is a scam!
We are still waiting for you to tell us how a FREE product is a scam? There are many benefits to installing a AV product, or use the embedded version in modern versions of Windows to protect yourself from threats. If Firewalls and Encryption could keep you safe, then they wouldn't offer it/ But there is no benefit or financial gain to a company that offers a FREE product. How again is it a Scam?

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,571 Posts
All a firewall does is block unsolicited communications from outside, if you click on a poisoned link, or land on a malicious site whilst browsing, then since you have instigated the communication, your firewall will do nothing to protect you.

Similarly, disk encryption protects nothing if your attacker has access to your decryption keys, which they would have if you had contracted an infection with remote access capabilities.

Does an AV program protect you against everything ..... no ...... not by a long way, but it does protect you against a great deal, as does education, and from what you've said so far, it appears that your computer education is seriously lacking and that you really do not understand how your various defenses work, or what they protect you against.

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
I think it's time for me to check out of this thread. ;) Illogical "reasoning" like this makes my head hurt! :p:p

21 - 26 of 26 Posts