Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post here, so Hello everyone.

I tried to clean my gf's laptop up earlier today. The computer is a compaq laptop running on windows XP. The updates are all current as far as I know.

Today, I uninstalled norton, because it had expired, and installed zone alarm security suite. This is the same program I have been using on my laptop for some time with no problems so I doubt it was ZA.

I concurrently ran all the following programs on my laptop and her laptop(the one now messed up), mine is fine, so I don't think it was this, but here is the list:

Ad-aware personal
Spybot - Both immunized and search and destroy options used.
Abexo Free registry cleaner
Eusing Free registry cleaner
Zone alarm antivirus and anti spyware

After running all those programs, zone alarm updated and the system restarted several times without issue.

The computer was then left open for several hours. My GF sat down and surfed the internet for a couple minutes. The screen saver turned on, and eventually the screen turned off.

A while later my GF come back to the computer to find the screen being completey blank background with a white square in it.

The computer did not respond at all, and the power button was held for ~10 seconds in order to turn the machine off.

The machine was restared and windows prompted to start in safe mode or start normally. The first time windows was started normally, and the same thing happened after a long startup time period.

The second time, we started in safe mode, and continued past the restore point option. The mouse pointer remained in the "hourglass" icon, and the startmenu never allowed anything to be clicked.

THe computer was turned off via holding the power button after waiting to see if anything would happen.

The computer was restarted in normal mode, and the problem persisted. THe computer was then restarted in safe mode again, this time the restore point option was used. Once the restore was completed the computer was restarted in normal mode and the problem persists.

My next approach is to repair windows using the CD, however it is MIA, and we are currently looking for it. I have another windows xp cd set that is different that the one that came with the computer we are trying to fix, so I don't know if I should use it as the product key would be different than the currenty installed?

Any ideas, options, thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated as I am about out of ideas.

Thanks

CN

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Firstly, try doing a Hijack This scan and posting it in the security center. Read the 5 step process before you submit your log. This will make sure any bad things that arrived off the net are totally off the machine.

A repair option should not require a product key. You can use any disc aslong as its the same type of the OS installed on the computer. Eg. XP Home will need a XP home disc, not a Pro one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was booting in safe mode, and once windows loaded, got a error msg about "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger".

Am googling currently, but wanted to get it listed in here.

Thanks

CN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Carsey.

I am working on starting those 5 steps, but the computer doesn't want to let me get on the internet, or do much else for that matter.

I just ctr alt del and ended the Drwatson process, but now the systme is frozen up.

Do you know if when running in safe mode, you have to choose "safe mode with networking" to access the internet?

THanks

CN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^Am giving it another shot, you said the xp pro disc (the one I have) will not repair an xp home system, which the laptop has.

Would it be possible to do a fresh install with the xp pro CD without losing files/data contained on the drive. My gf's biggest concern is her pics. She actually received some blank dvds for christmas, and had just sat down to back the pics up when the computer went out :(

Thanks

CN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Still can't get it to do anything after bootup in safe mode

It just jumps between the DrWatson error and a windows explorer error, and won't allow me to open a browser, either IE or FF.

When I click to send the error or not, it restarts the windows explorer and all desktop icons have to reload.

Hmmmmm

Thanks

CN

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
In the error report, view the technical details and look for a program that may be causing the problem. It should be something like XXXXXX.exe (where x = program) or XXXXX.dll.

Try removing DrWatson from the startup, if its causing you hassle. Start; Run type msconfig and navigate to startup tab. Disable All unnecessary programs if not them all and try again. This will stop any errors in programs from being loaded when you run your computer. If the problem lies with a program.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would do exactly that if my computer would let me click on anything.

It won't let me click on the start button at all, and although I can highlight one thing on the desktop, it won't let me open anything.

CN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, something new, though I wouldn't call it progress.

I tried to restore to Dec 1, and it went through the restore OK, but when it went to reboot, it took forever on the screen with the progress bar flashing, and just now the whole screen turned almost completely white. I can still see the graphics under the white, but this is a first for me

CN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, the windows explorer error is :

C:\docume~1\nichol~1\locals~1\Temp\Wer031f.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\docume~1\nichol~1\locals~1\Temp\Wer031f.dir00\appcompat.txt

Error Signature is :

Event type : InPageError
P1: c000009c
P2: 00000003

The DrWatson Errors are as follows:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The DrWatson Postmertem Debugger erros sig is as follows:

EventType : BEX
P1 : drwtsn32.exe
P2 : 5.1.2600.0
P3 : 3b7d84a2
P4 : dbghelp.dll
P5 : 5.1.2600.2180
P6 : 4110969a
P7 : 0001295d
P8 : c0000409
P9 : 00000000

Files included w/error report are:

C:\docume~1\nichol~1\locals~1\Temp\Werb92b.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp

C:\docume~1\nichol~1\locals~1\Temp\Werb92b.dir00\appcompat.txt

Thanks

CN

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
If you can access task manager, find and delete (stop process) of this: Explorer.exe.

Under applications (tab) go to new task and type explorer.exe. THis will reload your icons and exploring windows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
^^^^^^^^^^^The explorer.exe process restart did not allow the computer to regain functionality. However, I was able to use the new task from the application tab to run msconfig and deselect all programs in the start up tab and reboot. Will get back in a min after the reboot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok finally found the recovery CD's.

I can get into the windows recovery tool, but am not sure what to do now.

Also, would a new install of windows XP erase the data/files on the harddrive?

Thanks

CN

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.