Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not donate unused computer cycles to help Stanford Uni in it's fight against Cancer.
How it works: you install a program (there are various ones for older and for newer core 2 etc.) it then downloads a work order then disconnects from the net and processes that work using your computer while it is idle or just using a minimum amount of processes.
MORE INFO HERE

TSF have a team working on this project so why not give it a try
Details here;
http://www.techsupportforum.com/relaxation-room/distributed-computing/178691-current-teams.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
i hope nobody will laugh too hard at this, but does running a program like this increase the processor usage by a lot, especially when it's usually idle? And if it does, does it affect the long-term durability of the processor?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
i hope nobody will laugh too hard at this, but does running a program like this increase the processor usage by a lot, especially when it's usually idle? And if it does, does it affect the long-term durability of the processor?
You can tell it how much of the processor you want to use. It can run as an idle process using around 5% of the CPU's power, or run dedicated using 100% of the resources available. One thing to keep in mind is that a CPU isn't like a car engine. A car engine wears quickly from being run hard while a CPU is just doing what it does all the time. The most important thing is that you have sufficient cooling as running a CPU at 100% will generate a little more heat.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will appear on the list after you complete a WU,sometimes this can take up to two days after completion of WU

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
OK, [email protected] keeps changing its mind, before it said a month and now it says two days. I will have to see how it plays out. My computer is on an average of 18 hours per day so the two days may be underestimating the time it takes a little.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Matt, if your computer is on 18 hours a day then it should take about 2-4 days to complete a Work Unit, regardless of the WU's size or the 'WU End' time-remaining value.

The 'WU End' time and date are estimated when you start the program, then after a while it gives a more accurate figure. I quite often get a unit saying it will take til 2009 to finish, then it's done 2 days later, so nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Matt, if your computer is on 18 hours a day then it should take about 2-4 days to complete a Work Unit, regardless of the WU's size or the 'WU End' time-remaining value.

The 'WU End' time and date are estimated when you start the program, then after a while it gives a more accurate figure. I quite often get a unit saying it will take til 2009 to finish, then it's done 2 days later, so nothing to worry about.
OK, thanks for the info.

Mine says it'll be done by tomorrow morning, around 5 am (I'm leaving it running all night tonight) giving it a total time of around 13 hours.
What are you running it on?

·
T-Shirt Winner
4,773 Posts
Mine says it'll be done by tomorrow morning, around 5 am (I'm leaving it running all night tonight) giving it a total time of around 13 hours.

I read somewhere that the PS3 WUs are designed to take on average 8-12hrs to complete, so that it is possible to complete a WU overnight.

·
Resident Pirate
17,982 Posts
I read somewhere that the PS3 WUs are designed to take on average 8-12hrs to complete, so that it is possible to complete a WU overnight.
Didn't know that ... Cool, So I can complete 1, then give it a break over the second night, then complete another one :grin: Should get through about 4 WU's a week.

Is the total number thing you get for every WU the same? I.e. For me to complete a WU, I need to let it reach 250000, which is 100%.

UPDATE - Finished my first WU :4-clap: 20% done on the second.

·
T-Shirt Winner
4,773 Posts
Is the total number thing you get for every WU the same? I.e. For me to complete a WU, I need to let it reach 250000, which is 100%.
I'm not sure about the PS3, but normal WUs vary in number of frames and length of time to complete each frame.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.