Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Belkin 7230-4 wireless router last night and am having problems with one of the hard wired computers. Have Win XP on one desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) which are working fine - excellent connection. However the other wired desktop is showing a yellow light on the router. This computer runs Win 2000 Pro. I can't imagine that the problem has anything to do with the operating system but also can't get the connection to show a nice solid green light. Have tried it in different ports on the router but still have the same yellow light. I have a cable modem and the connecting cable line from this computer to the router is rather long but it has worked fine on the previous router which pooched out. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Thanks for any tips!! This is my kids' computer and, while they can navigate the internet, they are having problems staying connected. A re-boot of the computer seems to fix it temporarily.

One thing to note - when I was setting it up last night, this computer seemed to have a hard time keeping the 'receive IP address automatically' setting. I would click on this option, close the window and it would re-set back to the original LAN settings (between buying the router and installing it, I was just connecting individual computers directly to the modem so had to put these settings back in at that time). A complete shut down and restart of the computer was the only thing that would hold the setting.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Where exactly is the yellow light on the router? If it's working, I'm not sure how this is relevant.

I'm confused about the settings, since a DOCSIS cable modem and a broadband router typically require the same settings, which is automatic IP and DNS assignment. What is the make/model of the cable modem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info

Sorry - here is some more info that may be of help. The cable modem is a SuperLink 2810. The light that is yellow is the Port light. The one desktop that is hardwired is in Port 4 and that light is solid green. The other computer stays yellow no matter what port it is hooked up to.

As far as the settings go, this is the way all three computers are set up. Under Network Connections, under Lan Connection, each one of them is set to 'receive IP address automatically'. In the router configuration settings, this is where the IP, subnet, DNS, etc numbers have been entered.

I've been thinking about this problem and am wondering if it isn't the cable itself from the problem hard wired desktop to the router. It runs under the house and maybe it has some deterioration in it that is causing a poor connection to the router and causing the yellow versus green light. Will have to crawl under and take a look. Just seems odd that everything else is exactly the same as the desktop that has an excellent condition so have a feeling that it is the physical cable line that is the problem.

Thank you so much for your reply. If, after reading this, you feel that there may be some other issue other than the cable link wire, I would appreciate hearing from you.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
I'd certainly check for a cable issue first. Truthfully, I'd carry the computer over to the router and connect it with a different cable, just to eliminate the cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.