Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, i'm not fluent with the computer terminology, so any attempt to drum it down a little will be much appreciated.

my problem is with the sign on to Yahoo! Messenger. when i attempt a sign on, everything appears to work normal at first, but then a window open that reads: We were not able to sign you in to Yahoo!

the options are to "TryAgain, Setup Proxy," or go to "Help."

TryingAgain results in the same outcome and i have went to Setup Proxy, and tried each setting; detect proxy, don't detect proxy, proxy with firewall, proxy without, no proxy, etc. the Help hasn't been much of a help either, but did lead to me clearing my internet cache and then removing and reinstalling the Yahoo! Messenger. this however, did not resolve the problem.

eventually, i was able to use an alternative computer and the sign on was successfully. this tells me that the problem in with my actual PC and not the Yahoo! software.

previous to this problem, i was sent some type of "boot script," at least that's what someone told me it probably was, and about a hundred IMs started popping up and i was booted from Yahoo! i logged back on and eventually the same thing happened. it happened about 3 or 4 times until finally, i was unable to sign back on. :dead: when i click out of the message that reads: We were not able to sign you into Yahoo!, the messenger remains open and an icon depicts :sleep: (i am able to sign in, and launch an old version of the Yahoo! Messenger from the Yahoo! website, but it is prehistoric.)

my first question is about booting, in general. i would like to know more about safeguarding against it.

my most important question is: How do i fix the problem on my home computer, and could it mean an unwanted hidden file or virus?

i appreciate any help that can be offered in this matter.

Thanx,
Trace

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think that this "boot script" was actually a virus ot trojan. Can you tell me more about the file, like the file name, file extention (txt, exe, gif, jpg, reg), did you get it from a friend, enemy, or unknown? Maybe once I know this I can track down the file.

BMR777

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.