Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my motherboard decided to quit on me and I saw that it's a foxconn LS-36 SLI ready motherboard. I called Dell to see what kind of price it would be for a new board. They told me $419 for a new one. Is this right?? Is there anyway I can find a cheaper board or do I have to go through Dell? I've seen both answers saying I dont have to go through Dell and I do have to go through Dell:4-dontkno

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The number From the pics I can find of your PC is uses a BATX setup (the Mobo is reversed). How did you determine the Mobo is at fault? What problems are you experiencing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I came home one day and my PC wouldn't turn on. The fans would spin for 1 second then quit and that's it. There was a solid amber light on the motherboard. Well at first I thought it was the PSU. I replaced the PSU and the computer still wouldn't turn on. I talked to a buddy of mine and he told me some things to do like removing the silver battery, wait 2min and try turning it on....that didn't work. I then removed each device one at a time (Harddrive, soundcard, Video cards, RAM). I had the Sound card, RAM, Video cards, modem out of the PC and the CD drive unplugged. I had the cord that powers the motherboard still plugged in and the computer still wouldn't turn on..

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Brand & Model of the PSU you used for a replacement?
If the Mobo needs replaced, the best option for a prebuilt PC is to get a Mobo and case to avoid Mobo install problems.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If the PC was in my shop I would bench test it.

Remove everything from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks , Tyree for the bench test model. I need to find a link to see what pins in the 24 array front panel socket are the lights and power on, reset, etc. Can you help me there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.