Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Brother DCP 310 CN multi task printer - i was running it with a laptop running XP home SP2 - no problems

laptop died - bought new laptop HP NX6125 - running XP Pro (updated) and Office Pro (updated) - the printer wont print - after sending a print command i look at the printer queue and there are two entrie for the same document - the first one says "deleting" nothing happens - i have to cancel all documents - the next time i start up the pc the printer spits out the page

also if i set the orinter properties to send the print directly to the printer and not spool it does print but i only get 1 print even if i ask for more than one copy

can anyone help - ive been on this for weeks - i have even tried the latest driver from brother but to no avail

·
1,438 Posts
It sounds like you have a jammed file in the spool
XP creates two copies of the file when it is sent to spool to the printer , a spl file and its shadow the shd file.
If they get jammed normally you need to go to start/ run and type
services.msc and hit enter.
Locate print spooler and double click and then select stop service.
Go to control panel/ folder options and select show hidden files,uncheck hide protected files, uncheck hide known file extensions.

Use explorer to locate
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS
Open it and delete any shd and spl files found.

The following are links.

Microsoft KB troubleshooting print problems in XP

This one may also be helpful

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks oshwyn5 - but that didnt help

i'm printing directly to a printer - i should mention that they are USB printers and i have two - one at the office and one at home - so i have two printers seen by the system one is described as copy 1 - i dont think this is the problem though as this was the same on my previous laptop -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.