Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After downloading SP3 I was unable to use the internet, send e-mails or update programs either using dial-up or WiFi. With WiFi I could connect OK and a strong signal was shown but a message appeared to the effect that I may not be able to view web pages online and indeed when I tried, it tried to connect but seemed sluggish and then said the page was not available. Similarly with dial-up I connected OK but could not open pages nor send e-mails. I uninstalled SP3 and this solved the problem but obviously I would like to have SP3 for security reasons; does anyone have any ideas.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi TerryT, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

First up, do you have an AMD processor in your computer?...If so, please read this.

This may also help you too...

Please try this method to install the Windows® Service Pack 3...

XP- SP3 Installation Instructions

Before installing the XP-SP3, perform these steps FIRST:

1: Use the Windows® Disk Clean up Tool. (Click the coloured Link.)

2: Perform a Disk Defragment....Reboot the computer.

3: Manually create a "System Restore Point"; call it, say, Before SP3

4: Download the standalone version of SP3 from Microsoft®. SP3 Standalone Version ..."Save" it to the computer rather than using the 'Open' or 'Run' options.

5: Once downloaded, Right click the icon > ”Unblock”.

6: Disconnect from the Internet; (pull the power from the modem/router); disable any Firewalls; pop-up blockers, and Anti Virus and Spyware programs (especially Spyware Terminator™).

7: Start the installation and follow the prompts....When finished, reconnect to the Internet first; reboot the computer.

Important Note: While the SP3 is installing, do not attempt to do any other tasks on the computer until it has finished, this will ensure a ‘clean’ upgrade.

Report back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave/Chauffeur2,
Thanks for your help. I eventually got around to implementing your recommendations. I do not have the AMD processor so I did the clean-up, defrag and created a restore point. I downloaded the SP3 from the site you specified but could find no "Unblock." However after disconnecting from the internet I doubleclicked the downloaded icon and installed it that way. I was on my laptop in the local library using WiFi (disconnected) and was asked to plug in the power adapter to enable the installation to progress. Since there was no power available I took the laptop home and continued the installation there. Everything went fine and my Windows now runs perfectly. Thanks again for your assistance.
Regards
Terry T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.