Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I generally use Windows Media Player to view my .mpg files on my PC. I also use both Vegas and Premier to edit those files. I installed the divx codec onto my PC because I like to encode my movies in that format so i can burn them onto CD. I also uninstalled the same codec because it included 'adware'. I also ran "Spycleaner" to get rid of that GATOR and GAIN garbage off of my computer. Now to the problem...

I cannot play any file with an .mpg (or mpeg) extension in ANY of the applications on my PC. .avi and .wmv files work just fine, but not .mpg. I've tried reassociating the files with Windows Media Player and still... nothing... To make sure that it wasn't just my files I downloaded short .mpg's from the net, but to no avail. System Restore does not alleviate the problem and I have no more ideas short of reinstalling windows and having a fresh image. Any ideas? Please help...

:upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:

·
Registered
40 Posts
uninstall Windows media player and reinstall it. I was having the same problem with that and it worked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
oh, and if ur worried about spyware, when u install Divx, just install the codec without the player. When ur installing, one of the screens has a small window with both of them there. Just remove the checkmark from the player.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was actually the FIRST thing I did... that's when I noticed that it wasn't just the media player that didn't recognize .mpg's... it was also Adobe Premier and Sonic Foundry Vegas. So now it has become a system issue.

:upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

Seems what you have done here is removed a critical file by playing around with spyware software removers. If you could tell me what software you used to do this and as well what version, I will be able to assist you further.

p.s.- DON'T be using spyware software removers unlesss you KNOW what you're doing, that stuff can really screw up your computer. I highly recommend getting/using "Spybot - Search and Destroy" because it's safe for any home user. All you simply do with that is download updates, let it scan, immunize your hdd, and voila, you're all set to go!

Where can you get Spybot you may ask? Go here:

http://420house.kicks-***.net/downloads/utilities/spybotsd12.exe

username: the420house
password: keniscool

For more links to what all is there checkout my site at:

http://www.the420house.com

Enjoy!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Try System Restore....worked for me. Also , these codec packs recommend that you delete all codecs first or you might have conflicts. Sounds like a codec and not a player problem.

I like the Klite codec pack and BSplayer that comes with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

Try System Restore....worked for me.
He's claimed to have already done a system restore. Try again..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First... thanks for all of the input and replies...

The spyware program that I used to remove all of that 'GATOR' and 'GAIN' garbage was called, very simply 'Spycleaner' and unfortunately the demo has expired so I can't supply the version number. :upset: :upset: I consider that 'lesson learned'.

I have however, completed a repair install of XP and now a few of my .mpg's will play. I can hear the ones that won't play, but now the picture is scrambled. I also uninstalled any other codecs that i had on my PC in the interim. I'm almost there... any other ideas?

:| :| :| :| :| :|

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

Well crap dude.. I don't know then because I've never heard of such a program to remove spyware. Sorry to say this, but, your best bet if you 'really' want mpg's is to reinstall windows xp and backup the stuff you wish to save. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was afraid of that... but it's okay because I was prepared to do that and I'm running a pretty fresh image of XP (had other issues that warranted reinstalling XP)... I guess here goes nothing!!! Thanks guys!!!

:boxing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was afraid of that... but it's okay because I was prepared to do that and I'm running a pretty fresh image of XP (had other issues that warranted reinstalling XP)... I guess here goes nothing!!! Thanks guys!!!

:boxing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.