Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to give me a hand? I'm running a Sony Vaio with Windows XP Home. Every time I try to put the system into standby or hibernate, it locks up and I have to unplug the power supply. I would appreciate it if anyone knew of any solutions to this problem or if anyone is simply willing to help out. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's a laptop, but before it was going into standby and hibernation without any problems. It started giving me this problem shortly after I reformated my hard drive due to a virus problem. I used the system recovery CD's Sony gave me and that restored all my factory settings, except I now have this new problem.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

all 6 of the different machines i had had that had win2k on them went into standby just fine, and all of them were desktop types.

were does it stop when you try to send it into hibernate?

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Personally, I never had any use for hibernate, too many problems coming back up, even if you get it to shutdown. I also get to use the 512mb of disk space it chews up for better things. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

well, we can see that you have 512 megs of ram, hehe.

and is 512 megs really a big deal?

it isnt to me, and i only have 8 gigs to fool around with anyways.

but yeah, it does usually have some issues coming back up, with the screen blinking a few times before it is ready to use, but i noticed a HUGE difference in start time when i used hibernate instead of powering down normally.

but as far as the person needing help, i am gonna have to back out, cos i know not much about proprietary peices of crap.

(even though sony in my opinion is pretty cool about this sort of thing)

~BoB~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It locks up at the blue screen "Preparing to Standby" or "Saving your Settings". Anyone care to venture at any ideas about WHY this is happening?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Microsoft has a troubleshooting checklist for STANDBY and HIBERNATE, you might start there. It's usually an incompatible driver or a power setting that doesn't allow the system to turn power off to a specific device.

I have to ask, why not just shutdown and reboot? The system will be a lot more stable that way...

·
Registered
336 Posts
just saw something about BSOD and Hibernation error message at Microsoft. They said the latest SP has a fix. I know you didn't mention BSOD but perhaps it will work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I give up. I'm just turning off standby and hibernate. Thanks for the help even though it wasn't really helpful. I appreciate it, honestly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

I do not have enough information to aid you. Give me your computer specs please...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
my computer has also been freezing lately, hibernate stops at saving settings and stand by wont "wake up", I did a few system restores and I think it is KERIO personal Firewall that causes this problem.
Zonelabs firewall doesnt cause this problem...
greetz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.