Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was helping a friend to install some new hardware (MB and processor) but afterwards XP would not boot. As there was nothing of any consequence stored on the PC, we went straight for the Windows XP Backup/Reload disk, however this would not boot either. Then we acted a bit hasty and formated the drive using FDisk etc believing that we could then reinstall windows from scratch. However this is not possible since we don't have the actual XP disk, we only have the reload disk that was supplied bu the PC Supplier - Time. I believe the supplier is now out of business, so is there any else I can do? Or do I need to pay for a fresh copy of XP? It a bit of a mess.

Help is appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What a Dilemma! If the restore CD does not work, you can TRY using an OEM version of XP to reinstall the OS. On the PC there should be a Windows COA with 25 digits. It will either say Windows XP Home OEM or Windows XP Pro OEM. You will need to find someone that has an OEM version of either XP Home or Pro, depending on what the sticker says. You may also be able to get this CD from M$, not sure tho. Once you have the cd, just install Windows. Hopefully the code will be recognized by the CD during setup. Once Windows is up, you will need to pass the hurdle of Windows Activation. If you get lucky, Windows should activate ok. If it doesn't you will need to call MS and explain what happened and get a new code.

Hope it helps
BMR777

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.