Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, my uncles PC wont start windows, it states that it was illegaly shutdown and opts to start in all the options available (normally, safe-mode...etc) but on any of them it wont boot up and just re-starts the computer????

He can get to a MS-DOS prompt and need to know if he can use dos prompt to burn a folder (auto-cad drawings for work that he really needs to rescue)on the desktop to a CD before re-installing XP?

I think the boot-up program/code has become corrupt and wont run, the XP recovery program on installation disk doesn't do anything and he doesn't want to use the rescue disks (factory restoration) as they will delete the folder he is trying to rescue..

Can any 1 help, ???

1. dos commands to move folder to CD?

2 repair boot up?

any help would gratefully appreciated...

thanks in advance...

PAUL

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bonk said:
try rebooting and immediately press F8 and choose 'Last Known Good Configuration'
that is one of the options that come up automatically, tried em all and they just start doing their stuff then the PC reboots??

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I gather he doesn't have a standard windows cd only a recovery disc. In that case, sfc probably won't work since you will need to insert the windows cd.

·
Registered
380 Posts
paulb100-

It appears that the master boot record has been damaged/altered/infected.

You could use the command to fix the master boot recorded and there are
certain ways to to this depending on what type of file system you have (NTFS or FATS) and the OS you are running. The article
below may point you in the right direction;

http://www.ntfs.com/mbr-damaged.htm

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.