Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of my mother's asked me to look at her computer as she was having issues with it. Well, I got everything back up and working and then did updates to Windows (SP2, etc).

In the midst of installing some of these updates (after SP2), my child yanked the power cord out of the wall and down I went. When I went to reboot, I was given the option of Safe Mode, etc, but selected to boot normally. The XP logo came up and was fine, but then it went to a black screen and STAYED there. No white cursor..nothing. UGH. So I went to boot again. When given the same option, I tried safe mode. Well, I didn't get a black screen, but I got a string of DOS lines one after the other just sitting on the screen. I mean...line after line filled the screen.

The REALLY horrible part about this is there is no XP disc for this. I asked my mother's friend about this and she claims that when she bought the computer from Wal-Mart (HP), it didn't come with any CDs. I find that hard to believe, but whatever. SOOO..now I have no idea what to do. I mean, I do have my own Dell EOM CD for XP, but I can't use that to try and fix this, can I? It is just like NOTHING I do is working!

The computer is free of an virus activity, spyware, etc...I took all of that out.

Help!!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
my child yanked the power cord out of the wall and down I went
i think you are going to have to take the side off and check for any loose connections. make sure if theres a video card that its seated properly .
if you have no success, unplug it and pop the battery out for at least 20 minutes to reset the cmos.
you might need to tweak the bios setup options afterwards.

goodluck and post back

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK..I will try that. You don't think I need to reformat? An interrupted install wouldn't cause this, would it??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Everything seems to be locked in ok. Where the heck is the battery on this thing?

Do you think I can use my Dell EOM CD to do a recovery??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi carrie,

it would be good to have the windows xp cd so that you can probably fix the master boot record. assuming you will get a cd in the future, this is what you need to do. first you will need to change the first boot device in the bios to cdrom. save settings and exit the bios.

then assuming you have the windows xp cd in the cdrom the computer will boot to the cd. in the main console, choose repair.

then the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you dont have one, simply hit enter to skip the process. then on C: type in "fixmbr" or "fixboot" doesnt matter which one, both are the same commands. this should only take a second and after this is finish, restart the computer and boot into windows normally. see if this works out for you, good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I had found a place online to get bootdisks for XP so I could at LEAST get to the RC...but then once I did all that, it DID ask for the password, which I didn't have and the owner of the PC didn't know...so I bagged it. Didn't know I could skip it!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most new HP computers do not come with a restore cd. The Operating system is stored on the hard drive. If you can contact HP or you have the HP manual there is a key combination to start the system restore. If you can get into Safe Mode look under progarams for HP PC Utlities or Hewlett-Packard listing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
restart restart restart

try starting the computer let it get to the boot screen and then shut it off before it finishes loading do this a time or two and xp will think there is a problem with the install and should give you some more options to try.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK....I had gotten ahold of XP Boot Disks and I selected the option to restore instead of installing. Then I did the fixboot and chkdsk. With the chkdsk, I did the /p and /r. It took FOREVER to run, but it DID find errors and apparently fixed them.

So I was getting all excited only to STILL not have it work. ***???

I am assuming this means FIXBOOT and SYSTEM RESTORE just aren't going to work for me? There are a TON of options listed in SYSTEM RESTORE, but I don't know what they all are.

Any other ideas?? I don't have the manual or any other information on this computer and since I cannot even get ON it, I don't know where I can get the specifics on Windows to call HP!

Help!!! I can't believe that I have to reformat for simply cutting off an install!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't had the chance to pull the battery out (or rather...look for it)....but I did see earlier that everything was connected just fine.

What would the battery do to cause this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Carrie,

I have this very same problem and do not know how to fix it. I have a dell desktop few years old L866R which was working fine, until this. Likewise, I have misplaced the XP home editon cd and so I am watching this forum closely. I empathize - one is rendered helpless.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So then actually restoring the bios to back to default settings wouldn't do a thing?

I have read about the drivers loading while trying to get into safe mode. It hangs up on agp440.sys

Various people call it a hardware issue, but I haven't done anything with the hardware! Others have mentioned bios needing upgrading, but how can I do any upgrading if I can't even get onto anything?

BEACHSTER......my fingers are crossed for you, too!!! UGH!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
when the power cord got yanked out, it might have jarred something loose in the box, thats why i asked for you to check the connections and also you might check all the cards, including the agp video card. that they are still seated nicely.
my child yanked the power cord out of the wall and down I went.
wasnt this the start of the problems?
good luck

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did check everything inside already and that was fine. I haven't reopened it yet to do the battery, though.

Was just really concerned about if I have to upgrade the bios and I can't get into windows to begin with. I will take the battery out tomorrow:)

Thanks for the help!

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Wal-Mart (HP) was shut down while system update software was installing.

So we have a pc with corrupt files and corrupt registry and won't start.

Wal-Mart (HP) doesn't come with a windows CD because Wal-Mart (HP) puts the restore files on the HDD.

1. You must restore the pc to it's 'as bought' condition before doing the next steps. So ask mums' friend if any drives or cards (modem, sound, etc..) were added after it was bought, if so then remove them temporarily.
Disconnect all external peripherals (printers, USB, etc...) so it's only the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

2. Turn on the computer and tap the F10 key repeatedly until it shows an indicator that it's started loading the recovery menu.

3. The recovery screen appears, select Next, and then Yes (for normal, non-destructive recovery). System Recovery will start and replace any damaged files then reboot to windows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.