Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running xp pro on a stable P4 hardware. recently it stopped booting into windows; after windows loading screen computer restarts it self. Through F8 option i got to the blue error screeen which says "Unmountable_boot_volume".
I tried running xp pro cd to get to the recovery console but that doesnt work either. after the options F6 (third party drivers) and F2(automated recovery blah blah) it just goes straight to examining hard disk and then shows the drives and asks to select partition to install xp in.
I read some forums and this problem is caused due to either faulty harddrive, or faulty system files. i dunt think its my harddrive.
i need a way to get to recovery console so i can run chkdsk / fixboot
i dunt really want to format.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I understand what you are sayin, i wish it was that easy... lemme me explain this again. bios loads, i boot from xp pro cd... i press "any key" when it asks me to boot from cd... then it goes to 'Windows setup'... it then gives the option to press F6 for third party scsii drivers then F2 for ACR... and ofcourse i let these go... then it starts loading files 'kernel nd blah blah blah' for setup... and right after it goes itself to the partition screen it self..... the screen that has the options to install, repair doesnt apear...
and another thing when i dont boot from the cd, and let it boot from HDD the windows loading screen (crapy windows xp sign, with scrolling blue loading sign) shows.. but on the partition screen the free space is the same as the HDD space...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Is this a brand name computer e.g. Dell, Compaq, HP or did you build it yourself?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It's interesting, we just finished up a similar thread here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/unmountable-boot-drive-286278.html

Ultimately it wasn't a hardware error and the guy was able to fix things using some tool from the ultimate boot CD. I would guess it's testdisk (it's pretty powerful), but it may or may not be.

The testdisk thread is here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/have-you-lost-a-hard-drive-partition-or-files-in-your-computer-194492.html

Generally speaking, you should probably check that whatever information testdisk (or other repair utilities) display is consistent with what you know about the drive before you click apply to make changes (meaning if you know it should be a 200GB drive and it says it found a 500GB drive, do you want to write the changes - say no!)

Before you try repairing anything you should probably check a few items: is the info about the HD (size-wise especially) in the BIOS, and when you got the screen that offered to format, consistent with what you know about the drive? Also do you hear any weird noise, like screeching, clicking coming from the drive? If yes to the first and no to the second, it's probably safe to give testdisk a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx blah... i got hiren's boot disk and ran testdisk and another disk repair software which found 4 bad sectors, fixed 3 of them... i followed your instruction on the link that you posted above nd my computer is alive AGAIN(for now).... thanks alot for your help, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Don't get too over-optimistic. First thing I would do after the drive is up and running is back up all important files to another media (internal/external hard drive, flash drive, DVD's).
After all's safe and stored away, do a surface scan of the hard disk when you have some time (chkdsk /r from the command-line, needs to reboot - may take a long time - 3½ hours on a 500GB drive and may heat up your drive - if you don't have good cooling, open computer case and put a fan nearby (1 or 2 feet away), power it on, and aim fan at it during the operation)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx blah.. i did backup the important stuff from that drive, i'm using that drive mainly just to boot & run applications, and i have a feeling that this drive wont stay for very long now, although its still fairly quite...
the problem now is that my hdds (on same cable) are stuck on dma 2, both in windows and bios. i tried uninstalling em from drive manager, but didn't work either.. i have the 80 pin fairly new cable, what can i do about that... i tried looking for a related thread but have not been successfull so far... help is appreciated...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.