Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i was on my computer running my usual programs when it locks up and my speakers lock up too and make this beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound till i turned them off. I ended up having to hit the power switch on my computer to try to restart it. All the fans come on onside, i have 4 fans, the cpu fan works, video ect. the hard drive makes the usual sounds except its missing some clicks i normally hear cause i use my comp so much i know what it sounds like when its booting up right. So when i try to turn it on everything comes on as normal but my monitor stays at its self test screen waiting for info from my comp to display. this happened before and all i did was leave it alone for a few hours and tried it again and it worked but its been half a day and its still not working. the screen just stays there but the comp looks on or to be running fine, i can't get ti aby boot screen or bios ect. running windows xp home, 1.5ghz p4, 512mb rambus, ati 9700 video, SB live card, i don't have a windows xp floppy to try to boot from either....

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!

First, reseat all cables, cards, and memory. If the problem is still happening, disconnect items one at a time and try to boot. If you have any extra memory swap it out. That goes for the power supply as well.

Most of the time when I see this it is either power supply, memory, or hard drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like it might be a cracked circuit on the video card board, since in the past you let it sit for a while and then it would work. If there is a crack in the circuit/board it is effected by heat in the system.

If your motherboard has video integrated on it, try taking the video card out and use the motherboard onboard video.

Other choices for troubleshooting would be to check all cable connections and reseating the circuit boards. Try a different video card.

I have seen video cards get cracks in the circuit lines at the video cable connection point due to the stress put on the board by the video cable when the cable has tension on it.

Hope this helps..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.