Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PC (the old PC) running XP Pro SP3 with a printer connected by USB. It is connected by Ethernet cable to a Thomson TG585v7 modem to give internet connectivity. I've bought a new PC running Windows 7 which connects wirelessly to the TG585 to give me internet. I would like to use the printer on the old PC from the new PC. It would be nice to share files too.
I've put them both in the same workgroup. I've done the file and printer sharing stuff as recommended in the help text. But the new PC can't connect to anything on the old PC. It can't even ping the old PC. I suspect something in the security settings on the Thomson modem is the blocking agent. There are lots of settings to allow games through and also some PC services but I don't know what they all mean. Can anyone help ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Norton Internet Security 2010 on both PCs. Norton Tech Support tried disabling both and still couldn't get a connection. I've just tried enabling a wireless connection on the old PC and now I can ping the wireless connection but still can't get W7 to connect to or find the printer on the old PC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've managed to establish a link of sorts between the two PCs using wireless connection. When I select (on the new PC) the icon for the old PC (selecting Start/Computer/Network) I get a window called Windows Security which says Enter Network Password. It has boxes for a username and password. I didn't know I had a network password. Do you know what a network password is ? and how and where it is specified ?
Puzzled

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
You may try this, it might work........ you have to disable the files and printer sharing password from your Windows 7.
Open "Control Panel => Open "Network & Sharing Centre =>
Select "Advanced Sharing settings => Expand "Home / Work Network
=> Scroll to "Password protection => Select "Turn Off Password Protect Sharing.

Other than that, we can't assist you with Password hacking, http://www.techsupportforum.com/rules.php

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate not wanting to get into password cracking, but what is a Windows Network Password ? How does one get set in the first place? I can't find it in the help text.
Password protected sharing was already off, so it's probably not that. I'm beginning to think I just have to transfer files for printing using a memory stick.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
If you get asked for a Windows password, create a user account on the machine with the shared resources. It should have the same name and password as the connecting client login uses, and the prompt will go away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've found the answer - and it's a solution compatible with your last recommendation. I found that the Guest account on the PC with windows XP was not turned on. When I turned it on (never needed to use it before) I found it had a password but don't know what it was so I turned the password off. Odd that it should have one since in W7 you can't give guest a password. Now lo and behold and wonder at Microsoft's incredible way of making complicated something that should be simple, I can print without using the memory stick. Hurrah and thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.