Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i just tried to install XP on top of my vista installation using the instructions found here:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_...talled_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=3

I completed all instructions up to the point where the system reboots after doing the first XP installation phase. My problem is that when it reboots, it should go into XP, but instead it gets stuck on "Verifying DMI Pool Data" on the boot.

I tried restoring the fail-safe settings on the bios and it didn't work. I also tried to use the XP recovery tools on the XP cd, but they wouldn't work because it asked for an admin password which i do not have.

The XP CD i am using is bootleg, i won't lie. However, it should work because it has an unlimited license because it came from an authorized HP/Toshiba service center (not going to tell you how i got it).

Any help would be appreciated! thanks in advance.

·
Registered
721 Posts
hello again good to hear that ur not haveing ( bsod ) blue screen of death any more

im not sure on what to do about dual boot as i have not learn that yet but i would
say delete the Partition and reinstall xp and see if that works

but what is the issue ur haveing a error or does XP install but cant start or get it to post or does it post and go to the XP loading screen and stop there

u have to make two Partition of the ( HDD ) hard drive to beable to install XP and VISTA i think anyways not sure

as i said im not sure on any of this but i would try that above and see if that gets

if not just stop il have someone come in and help a collegg of mine
just LOL jokeing LOL hes a friend of mine

regards

-{-WarLord.F.Mike-}-

·
Freelance
886 Posts
Hey Pillar

This could be one of several reasons that you are receiving this message but there are several ways to rectify it :smile:

If the computer has no bootable files on the drive it is attempting to boot from it is possible that the computer may halt at " verifying dmi pool data...".

1. Boot from an XP disc.

2. Once at the A:\> prompt, type sys c: and press enter. A message should appear File system transferred.

3. Once transferred remove the disc and reboot the computer.

3. If the computer continues to not boot attempt to re-create the master boot record by booting from the bootable disk again.

4. Once at the A:\> prompt type fdisk /mbr and press enter.

5. This should return you to the prompt without giving you any message. Once at the prompt remove the disk and reboot the computer.

This also may be caused when the hard disk drive settings within CMOS are not set properly.

1. Enter CMOS via tapping F10 during reboot and entering the BIOS section.

2. Verify that the hard disk drive settings are set properly and/or that it is set to Auto Detect.

Failing either of these you can take your CMOS battery out, leave for five minutes and replace, reboot and it should reset the BIOS and CMOS settings

If that still doesn't work then can you please take out all additional hardware connected and alternative devices before rebooting.

Regards

Craig

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

I have the same verifying DMA Pool, my question to you is, do you use alot of USB devices? if you do, turn them off and/or unplug them when your system is booting. also have you updated any certain drivers in you system prior to the windows vista upgrade? if you have then it should be running properly. if you have upgraded a video card and or ram/processor or anything else, this should take a while to verify in the pool, as the pool needs to check everything in your system.

Make sure that you at least run with the built in video card before you do anything like install a new one, because if you use windows xp drivers for the video card installed, it may corrupt the video card prior to the time you installed windows vista.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.