Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hardware:

Linksys 54G Wireless Router
A Desktop computer with a wireless network card running Microsoft Windows XP Professional (servicepack2)
A laptop running the same operating system, also with a wireless network card.

Both network cards are 802.11g/b cards.

They can see each other fine at all times on the network, and I had file sharing working fine using the "Simple File Sharing" method.

What I would like to do is make certain shares on the Desktop (or we can now call it the server) to where anyone that wants to view them to has to "login" to the share.

I have seen it before, where before you can access a share on a computer, you must enter a username/password. So far what I have tried is turning off simple file sharing, creating a new share, and deleting the "Everyone" group from the permissions and adding a user that exists on the desktop(server).

When I try to connect to the share from my laptop(client), it says Access Denied. There is no login prompt box or anything.

I have successfully connected to that share by making an identical user/password on my laptop(client) that I added to the permissions on the Deskop(server), but that is not what I am trying to accomplish.

I don't want to have to set up users on every computer I use to connect to a basically "protected" share. I just want a share that requires the client computer to login to the server computer with a user that already exists on the server computer.

Any ideas or suggestions on how this can be done?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
By default they login as a guest. You can set the permissions for file editing manually. The most important thing is to make sure they're both in the same workgroup if they're not logging into a domain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.