Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using XP Pro and am having a peculiar intermittent problem with the taskbar. Sometimes after I've connected to the internet (broadband), if I attempt to click an item on the taskbar, the taskbar hangs. This can go on for 3 to 10 minutes and is very frustrating. Some other elements of the computer seem to work OK. I can use the Internet, open up My Computer and examine drives but can't run any .exe program files.

I've gone from imagining this is caused by XP, IE6, (so I've replaced IE6 with IE7 beta 2, then IE7 RC1, then Firefox, then IE7). I thought it was my McAfee Internet Suite but eventually realised it wasn't. I've scanned my machine regularly for adware, malware, viruses, etc. I've checked out my drivers which as far as I can tell aren't causing the problem. I've searched the Internet and Microsoft and have found that a number of other people are suffering the same aggravation. Most don't seem to have found an answer. The few solutions I've seen don't appear to apply to me because I don't have the same software on my PC. I'm now pretty well convinced it's XP, but the Microsoft support websites wasn't any help atall.

I've used XP diagnostics programs and also downloaded Sysinternals diagnostics programs to try to help but can't figure out what's causing this. My guess is that something is waiting for some data which it isn't receiving which causes the hang and eventually either times out or is otherwise 'satisfied' by some (late) data receipt. If anyone can help either with the diagnosis or cure please let me know.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Taskbar hang

The problem has been sorted. I was advised to try SP2 uninstalling & reinstalling SP2, which seemed to go OK, but then loads of other things weren't running properly, (or not running atall).

I therefore intended doing an XP repair installation and got into a right pickle when trying to integrate SP2 files (in accordance with Microsoft instruction paper). Cutting a long story short I reformatted my hard disk and reinstalled XP from scratch and it's never run better!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.