Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I go to my computer two days ago and it isnt starting, I had walked down stairs and gone up two hours later and I mvoed my mosue, touched my keyboard as I normally do, since I leave it in standby and it doesnt start up. So I restart it, and it loads up and I see something that says NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND
I think It may have been a virus or something but anyways next time I start up the Sony Vaio recovery thing comes up and I decide to not use that since I want to at least have a chance at recovering my files. So I attempt to boot into safe mode, it hangs at the login screen...I then try to acess my hard drive using Bart PE, and that crashes when I go to run and type in "c:/". I think my hard drive may be toast so I pop in Ubuntu since I can't find my Knoppix or DSL disk anywhere and it boots up and does a RAMDISK set up (my hard drive is NTFS formatted so it doesnt use that, plus it is a live cd so it doesnt install to the HD), I am able to use that to surft the web and stuff but I am also able to look at my hard drive. I see that I have my files still on the drive, but I also see a third partition on the drive. That partition looks like one that Sony hides on the drive and it has Windows start up files in it and stuff. The second partition is what my C:/ was and the third is what my D:/ was. I then try to start up and repair the problem on C:/ using the XP Pro install disc. I know my files are there but I cant get them to work. I can't get the XP Pro disc to help me so I then go on to try INSERT, which is a live linux version that I have on a CD. INSERT has a bunch of troubleshooting tools and stuff. I run that and then I find this utility that lets me see my partition table. I check out my partition table and I see 3 partitions, I had previously only had 2. I also see that the last 2 both have bad sector head errors. That gets me to the point I am at now. I have a Network Drive that everyone else suses for backup that I could possibly use to backup imgs of my harddrive to, I just don't know how exactly I would be able to do that and if it would be of any use. I need to save the data on that hard drive and I need to get Windows back up. I am wondering how and if it is possible to back up the images from the Hard Drive by using a live linux distribution on to the network drive (a maxtor One Touch II), and then reinstall Windows XP and then somehow get the files I need from the backed up image files of the partitions. I would also liek to find out how in the world that extra partition came to be. Also sorry for the extremely long question but I have never had a problem that I couldnt fix after all these steps. Also just noting this, there was NO blue screen of death or anything, I would have actually preferred to have that, if I had that I could have just gotten a copy of the missing file and put it back on as I have done before. Anyways any help is appreciated. Also it seems that my partition table has the drives listed as deleted but all the info is still there and the files are. Should I can could I change the 2nd partition to primary boot and the third to primary and the other one to Logical if possible? Thanks. Also I am very new to working with partition tables so I am not sure if the thing about chanign their settings is even possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
edit the boot.ini located under the root of the boot partition(you can also get to it from recovery console with bootcfg command). You may have to remove system, hidden and read only attributes.Make sure the drive with the os is default in the boot loader section.

eg
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP"
any other os on the drives go here

NOTE
multi(0) identifies the disk controller and should be replaced with scsi(0) if you are using scsi without bios enabled. initialisiation from 0 up

disk(0) identifies the scsi id and is always 0 if using multi convention initialisiation from 0 up

rdisk(0) identifies the number of the disk(if using scsi convention the rdisk is always (0)) initialisiation from 0 up

partition(1) identifies the number of the boot partition and is numbered from 1 up

hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.