Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been awhile since ive posted..lol But anyways, im having probs with my win xp system. When i turn on my computer and it boots in to win xp and gets to the welcome screen, it takes the computer around 5 mins to read the 3.5 floppy drive. While its just sitting there you can type in your password and it will sit there and load half of the desktop then when it reads the floppy drive finally it loads the other half of the desktop. I reformatted my harddrive thinking that it would fix it but it didnt. What can i do to fix this...my computer is a HP Pentium 3 933MHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB HD running windows xp pro. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
There are, as you know, many possibilities. In this day and age, that behavior could very well be the product of a Trojan or virus.

Do you have up-to-date antivirus installed?

Do you have any spyware detectors or blockers installed?

The answers will tell us where to start on this part of the troubleshooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i have up to date norton antivirus, i have ad aware installed for my spyware detection...could it be a hardware problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you install SP1 , if you have it then that could be the problem. Some xp pc's run like bullshi* with sp 1 installed, it causes a severe slow down.
Other than this, the only other thing i can see is achange in settings in the bios, some bios have a cache setting and if disabled, the os will load very slowly too.:|

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you able to boot to Windows at all?
Why are you booting from a floppy?

If you don't need the floppy to boot, don't have any disks in the floppy or CD drives. In the BIOS, select the hard drive to boot first. (If you ever need to boot from a floppy or CD in the future, simply change the settings in the BIOS back.)

To ensure you've got the latest drivers, grab these from Intel:
Intel INF Update
Intel Application Accelerator

What model HP computer is this? Grab the newest drivers and BIOS from their site to ensure the most trouble-free operation.

If you can get to your Device Manager, are there any hardware conflicts? This would be indicated by yellow question marks in there. Device Manager is listed under Hardware if you right click on My Computer and select Properties.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not booting from a floppy. The computer does this everynow and then..just like today when i turned it on it booted in to windows real fast and read the floppy as soon as it got to the welcome screen. I havent installed SP1 yet since i just reformatted my harddrive, im still in the process of downloading it. I think im just gonna take out the floppy drive it self then if i ever need one just put it back in, will that work or will my computer mess up more?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.