Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am using xp professional, and my computer takes a long time to fully boot up after i log in on the desktop screen. What makes it do that, and what program u think is making it do that. It takes a while to boot up and it doesnt let me go to my start menu on the lower left when i click on it while its starting up, or the lower right hand icon menu either.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Could Be..

Nortan AV, could couse problems for XP Pro users, I have noticed that the pre-installed version of Nortans latest AV software made for XP still couses XP hangs and long loads times, if you have Nortan AV try uninstalling and then reinstalling, if you have wide scale lockups while attempting to uninstall then it is most certainly the problem. Could also be programs attempting to load to your tray, some programs take longer than others, ect...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool

thanks for the tips people, i'll keep you posted on the status of the boot up ok.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope

i still get the same loadin time after i ran that bott program, and i shut down N AV at the startup for the computer and im still gettin a long load time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Problem: When logging into profile/account it takes an abnormal amount of time to become functional

Have some questions
1. You on a network?
2. Did a previous OS work fine?
3. When did this start happening?
4. Did it always work like this?
5. You use Aim/MSN/Trillian?
6. What do you have loading in your start-up group?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. i am just on a dsl home connection but i dont have it on start up
2. yeah
3. like a month ago
4. no just recently, ive ran xp prof. since it came out
5. i use aim and msn and they arent in startup either
6. the regular windows things and macdrive program that reads mac disks for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
aroe79 said:
1. i am just on a dsl home connection but i dont have it on start up
2. yeah
3. like a month ago
4. no just recently, ive ran xp prof. since it came out
5. i use aim and msn and they arent in startup either
6. the regular windows things and macdrive program that reads mac disks for me.
So we have a lead, When recently. Was it about the time a program or hardware device was added? Mayeb we can pinpoint the problem and get you blazin' again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aarrhhh!!

Im still havin that problem and i dont know what it is. i think the last thing i installed was the video car driver, it was an updated one too.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
DSL

Question : You said you have a DSL connection but its not in startup? Even if there is no software that starts it up automaticly if it is connected to your computer and drvier enabled then every time your computer comes on its going to look for an IP configuration via DHCP from your ISP (in almost every case, your not going to see static assignments very often because ISP dont trust users to do the job) anyway try disconnecting the DSL from the CPU while its off and then turning the cpu back on and see if your loadup time is any faster,

If that dosnt work let me know, its most likly software related at that point and we can then find out what processes are sucking down the cpu and causing these delays.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
"A swing and a miss"

Thats strike two for me on this problem.:(

Need more info before I continue with this one,

1) Once the load delay is over, does everything speed right back up?

2) What is the last program to load in the taskbar?

3) Have you checked your event log under applications for any problems?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah everything goes back to normal, im not sure whats the last program, i think its my macdrive program, and where is this event log?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Go into your control panel > administrative tools > event log.

When you go into it you will have 3 choices of logs to view
Application , Security , and System. Check out the Application and more importantly the System logs, look for red X's and Yellow !'s and when you click on them see if they make any reference to a service or something not starting because it timed out, or that it took a real long time to load.

Let me know. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in the system one this shows up: Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address. then it gives an address. it shows up on every date there and sometimes on multiple times. in applications it shows up as red but its programs that i know have crashed not anything i dont know about.

S

·
0 Posts
Could you post what components you have in this system?

Mobo
CPU
RAM
VID

And so on.....

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Try running Microsoft's bootvis program, select the following and see what you get.

Trace > Next Boot + Driver Delays > Set both options @ 1 and click on ok.

When the system reloads go back into the Bootvis program > Tools > Show Driver Delay Summery

See if you notice and drivers that are taking forever and a day to load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if ur talking about the driver that has the largest green bar its pwd_2k.sys, i dont know what that is. and i also have a multimedia(thats what it says). and below the pwk one there is one that says unknown?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.