Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have this problem. When I click shutdown button in XP, I have only 2 options to select; shutdown and restart. Standby mode is shown there but it is frozen, I cannot click on that.

History dates back when a tech came to install ME version of windows on my PC which already had XP. After installing, I lost that standby mode. But then, I reinstalled everything and have installed clean copy of XP and W2K. But, even in the new XP that old problem persists. I need the standby mode as I leave my PC for hours and come back to work. Any help will be greately appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I dont recall the exact name of the item you'll be looking for.. but if you'd like to give it a go id be glad to try and help.
-blitze

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my english is a pretty bad, will try to explain it again.

When I click "shutdown" a screen comes with 3 boxes, one says 'standby' second says 'shutdown' and the third says 'restart'. When I move my mouse to shutdown and/or restart button, mouse gives the hand picture (which means I can click on those, right?) but when I place on 'standby' the mouse shows just the point, no change (which means I do not have the option of standby). It is a kind of frozen and it does not have color, but just gray (dim color). Hope this explains my problem, if not I will try posting with pictures (if possible).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well first.. i understood your problem and it is fixable. i have a few ways to fix it. Secondly you can put pictures up but they will not be needed.

this MAY fix it.
go to: start -> run -> type this services.msc Look for anything to do with standby. This is a guess to be honest, so if you can not find anything to do with standby tell me and ill research a little to find out what most likely happened.
-blitze

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will try this and let you know. At present, I'm in my office and that PC is at home. Will get back to you ASAP.. tx.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I searched google, and many people though that the problem is if windows isnt managing the size of your page file. If all of that fails i would try this, right click my computer, click properties, click the advanced tab, click settings under performance, click the advanced tab, click the change button under virtual memory and make sure system managed size is checked, then click okay and restart. It shouldnt cause any problems since windows will be managing it, and it is suppose to be checked by default, but do it at your own risk.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am doubtful to my solution fixing it.. however i would ask MS then google it if the morons at MS dont know:). If what i said doesn't work feel free to try their solution you never know.
-blitze

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sounds like an ACPI problem. This is what I find in my device manager. Check your Bios under power managment, it may be turned off. If I remember correctly windows started a new hardware install when I turned power managment on in Bios.

Your results may vary but I would start there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
When I try to put my PC in Standby or Hibernate (Shift select shutdown) I get the following error message "The device Driver for the 'Communication Port (COM1)' device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." In Device Manger, I clicked on Ports (COM & LPT), clicked on COM1 (the only COM port shown) got General: device working properly, Port Settings: Bits per second 14400; Data bits: 8; Parity: None; Stop bits: 1; Flow control: None. Driver: (tried to update, said no better) Details: Device instance: ACPI\PNP0501\1; Hardware Ids; ACPI\PNP0501 PNP0501 Service: serial; Capabilities: ACPI\PNP0501\1 etc. I assumed this was my Modem, looked like one in the port settings. My Modem (BCM V.92 56K Modem) says it is in PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus2, device 1, function 0) Port: COM3. How do I find out what the device on COM1 is? How can I fix this problem? :4-dontkno BTW, Dell shipped my PC in this condition, and the tech support there was unintelligible. I tried it in safe mode, it was greyed, might be a clue for Steve. I also found no reference to standby, hibernate or power management in services.msc.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Standby/Hibernate

I found more info on my COM1 Device:

- Device can be rebalanced.
Problem:
- Device has no problem.
Device capabilities:
- Silent install

Hardware ID:
- ACPI\PNP0501 <<<(Does anyone know what that is?)
-
Compatible ID:

System resources
IO ports used:
- 03F8 - 03FF
IRQ channels used:

Registry properties
- Service name(SZ) : Serial
- Device class(SZ) : Ports
- Device class GUID(SZ) : {4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
- Driver key(SZ) : {4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
- Configuration flags(DWORD) : 0x009C0100
- Manufacturer(SZ) : (Standard port types)
- (SZ) : Communications Port (COM1)
- Device PDO name(SZ) : \Device\00000068
- Upper filter drivers(MULTI_SZ)
- serenum
- Enumerator(SZ) : ACPI

·
Registered
3 Posts
PtCruzzr

Howdy! Forum Supporters!! My standby mode button is greyed out also. Reinsalling XP H-edition. didn't work,thats old news around here, tried DeviceM,Systemdrivers.SystemServices,,,updating drivers,,,,,,,feel like dog chasen tails! geen dizzy hahahha!!! HELP!!!!! ANYONE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
SB/H:Grey

i read that the video controller (VGA Compatible) in Device Manager is the boss for Standby/Hibernate I can':sleep: t update a driver because it tells me there's no Hardware attached

·
Registered
50 Posts
Must be something in the water -- I have a similar problem. My hard drive died a couple of weeks ago so I purchased a new seagate drive & reinstalled win xp pro . The standby option doesn't work now. I tried power management but there isnt a hibernate tab. I didnt know if there may be drivers or software ( or something ) to allow this option . I'm gonna try tech support, but any ideas ?

THANKS

·
Registered
50 Posts
NEVERMIND !!!! It would help to update the hardware drivers !!!! I didnt pay any attention when I went to windows update -- I only installed the critical updates, not the optional updates for hardware drivers ------ Oops

·
Registered
3 Posts
greyed SBY\Hiber

PtCruzzr said:
i read that the video controller (VGA Compatible) in Device Manager is the boss for Standby/Hibernate I can':sleep: t update a driver because it tells me there's no Hardware attached
fffffffffffffffffffound out if you get a video controller that works with your chipset,mine is Intel,brings back your button mode that was greyed out because it was lost when we changed OS;formatted harddrives,whatever,also gives your games its memory graphics controll!!!!:sayyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.