Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched here and there a lot and still wondering is it a problem with sp3 or the dvd rw driver which mine is SONY DVD RW DRU 830A or it is a problem pertaining to the softwares that I use kike NERO, DVD Shrink. At present none of the copying and burning softwares cannot write in dvd driver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is XP SP3 that is causing your problem. I have a Sony DRU 710A that stopped working after I installed XP SP3. It would not recognize any blank DVD media with Roxio or Nero. I pulled the drive out and put it in another machine that only had XP SP1 installed. The drive worked great. I then installed SP3 and the drive quit working again. I then uninstalled SP3 and the drive started working again. Microsoft needs to fix this problem. I hope someone can put enough pressure on them to fix this issue.

·
Moderator, Design Team
12,727 Posts
Two suggestions:
1. update the drivers for your DVD/CD drive - R click on My Computer icon on desktop > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager button. Check to see if it is listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives and if it has any exclamation mark next to it - this should give you the make and model and you can go to the manufacturer's web site to download the latest drivers. OR you can R click on the device name in Device Manager and choose "Update driver..." and allow the Hardware Update Wizard to search for an updated driver.

If this still does not help:

2. Have a look at this - you may need to delete upper and/or lower filters in your registry.
Follow the instructions to the letter (scroll down to "Manually delete the registry entries") - don't play with anything else in your registry unless you know what you are doing - registry errors can make a good computer into a good doorstop!
If when you get to where the filters are supposed to be and they aren't there - then you don't have them and that won't be the cause of your problem - don't go looking for them elsewhere in the registry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem with a DRU-830A. It reads/writes fine with CD-R, CD-RW and DVD-R. It only fails with DVD-RW. I've tried the Microsoft fix and the registry fix on a couple machines with XP SP3 and I still have problems. I've updated to the latest firmware and still no luck. Does anyone know of another way to fix this issue? I sent my log files to Sony and they tell me it's a defective drive, which I highly doubt. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.