Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really need some advice here.

Have this laptop that is running on XP SP2.
Tried upgrading to SP3 on the Microsoft website.

During the upgrade, got this message "Setup cannot copy the file xpsp1res.dll"
So i solved it by do this "The specific dll file you are looking for is not under the directory you show. It should be at: C:\Windows\System32"
* i keyed in c:\windows\system32 for it to search.

So SP3 was installed. Then it prompted me to restart for effects to take place.

Restart was done and from there it keeps auto restarting. Unable to get into main page anymore. Keeps getting "kicked out"

Im unable to enter safe mode as well.

Can any kind souls offer me your solutions on what i can do to salvage my files and bookmarks in it. Dont mind forsaking the laptop, badly need the files inside.:sigh:

Thanks for advices.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Two main methods of getting your data:

1. Live Boot Disk:

If your going to do the live boot method, I'd recommend Ubuntu or some Linux build. The Ubuntu site can be found here Download | Ubuntu . Once you've downloaded the OS, you'll have to burn it to a disk using a disk burning utility like ImgBurn. After which you simply put it into the disk drive on the system your needing the data from, boot it up, and boot from CD. It will then give you an option to either perform a Live Disk test or install the OS itself.

If you'd like to, you could instal it and then have it access the data that way, but it's more preferred that you just use the live disk option to run it directly from the disk to get to your data. Once you locate your files that you want, get a USB drive/Floppy/whatever and put them on it. Once you've gotten your files, you can get out of the OS your using and do a clean wipe of the system for a new OS to be installed.

2. Hard drive to other machine:

This will require a few tools to do, but can often times be easier to do.

You'll need an IDE/SATA to USB cable/adapter in order to achieve this easier. You could always plug it straight into any other ports your other machine has available, but this method is probably the better way to go.

You can get a cable/adapter by going to most computer parts/repair stores, like this one here:

Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter

They are usually within 20-30 USD ( United States Dollars ), so they aren't very expensive.

Once you get one, you simply remove the drive, plug it into the adapter, and plug the adapter into the other machine to get the data off of it. Once you've done that, you put the drive back into the old machine, wipe it, and prepare it for a new OS install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.