Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am very sad by the fact that i can't get my LEGAL copy of xp sp2 retail version to work. I keep getting hung up in the setup will now copy files to install windows...(still the blue screen part.) Anywho the first file that it get hung up on is kodak_dc.inc followed by mdwndmsp.dll, nikedrv.sys, rio8drv.sys, riodrv.sys, spnike.dll, sprio600.dll, sprio800.dll, srgb.bin, streamci.dll, tosdvd.sys, and after that i just stopped writing down the file names. I called Microsoft and they said that they didn't know what the problem was and kept telling me to clean the cd of...(which is crazy cause i only installed this once before and i put it right back into the packaging...in the retail box.) They told me that they would call me back the next day which was today and that they would have a solution...their solution was to send me a new disk which will get here in 7-10 days lol what a solution huh? I have tired to flash my bios, reset the mbr sector of my harddrive, and format my hard drive may times, but none of this seems to work. Also i have found other post on the web describing this problem but all of them seem to be talking about hacked versions of windows...and mine is legit, plus all there soultions either didn't work or were to high of a level for me to be able to employ.

One more thing...
This all started on thursday when i was playing the game World of Warcraft. This was a suprise to me to see my computer crash because it was the first time it had ever done this. It made a quick repeating noise that came out my speakers and the screen turned black... after that i tired to boot and it worked so i tired the game again thinking that it was just a random graphic error...then it happened again in the main loading screen...the next time that i booted to windows it told me that the registery had been hurt but window had fixed it. So I thought that is would be best to restart my computer to make the change stick...and that was the end of the line for me. After that my computer would on longer boot to windows in safe mode or any other mode. So I turned to my only option...reinstall windows and after that i run into the file copy errors that you see above. I have tired everything that i know how to do...which isn't much but i am guessing that it is a hardware problem because i tired the cd on a friends coumputer with my HD and it worked there but when i went to put the HD back into my comp it encoutered a blue screen of death error that said something wrong reinstall windows. Did a virues do this to me. I don't really download anything so this confuses me how it could be that. Other than that I am realt out of options.

If anyone at this web site can help me i will be very greatful

one more thing my computer is custom built here are the specs

Mother Board Asus P5AD2-E deluxe
CPU Intel Pertium 4 Processor
HD Maxtor Diamond Max 6L300R0
Graphics Card ATI Radeon X800 PRO

If you made it this far thanks for reading mu novel

Luke

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I would download kill disk, this will wipe the hdd clean. I believe there is
a free download. This will eliminate flakey remnants on your hdd. Do a google
for kill disk. Then try to install again. You may have bad hardware, hdd, cd
rom drive,,video card. But if it were me I would try what I mentioned first.
Good luck,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
errrr still stuck

Okay tired kill disk that didn't work so i guess that makes it a hardware problem. Well i don't think it is my CD-Rom drive because when i switch it the cd still doesn't read and it isn't my harddrive because when i brought it to my friends house to install it worked over there, I dont see why my graphics card would stop me from installing files on my harddrive so i dont think that it is that, so that just leads me to believe that it is my mother board guess i will call asus and see if they have any programs that can test there mother board.

welcome to any other sugguestions.... :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
I wouldn't eliminate the vid card until I tried the setup with another (known to be good) card.
Lacking that, you could remove / re-insert the existing card and verify that its fan (if applicable) is working.

If the hard drive was properly wiped it would have taken several hours and would report "no operating system found" at boot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem sloved

Called Asus and he told me to test my RAM turns out that the RAM in slot one was shot but luckly the people at Kingston will replace all their RAM for free..shipping and all. The funny thing is that I did all the stuff to my computer and all that i needed to do was take one stick of RAM out to fix the problem...oh well live and learn.

The reason that the RAM caused that problem to occur was because the sectors of the RAM that went bad would cause the Windows setup to think that it could not copy the Information to the RAM and it didn't try to copy it any where else. Anywho I am running on one stick now till I get the new stick in the mail. Going from 2 gigs of RAM to 512mb is a big switch...(stupid double data speed :cry: )

On the plus side I got a new copy of windows out of it lol and free to me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.