Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just had broadband installed - all working fine, then downloaded Norton Antivirus 2005, told me to restart computer to complete installation, so i did. Windows then froze and keeps continuing to freeze when booting up. I found to problem (to do with Norton) and is resolved by starting in safe mode. However, when restarting the computer and pressing F8 to get to the options screen, I am unable to select safe mode as my keyboard doesnt respond to any buttons! It is not a keyboard problem as if i dont go to the safe mode options screen i can still type my password into the log-in page. I have no idea what to do now as i cant get into windows and i cant get into safe mode and I CANNOT format my hard-drive! Anyone have any ideas??
Thanks
S.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
If you have a USB keyboard then go into BIOS setup and enable USB legacy support. Or use a PS2 keyboard from another pc if available.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
When the computer starts up it usually displays a message saying something like "Press Del to enter Setup'.
Might be: Del; Esc; F1; F2; F10; etc...

If it doesn't show the message, try the ones above.

Once in BIOS setup there is usually a menu and a help section about which keys to use to navigate through the menu and selections.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
A PS2 connector is a small round connector with 6 pins.

Look for a message at boot that says 'Award BIOS' (or AMI BIOS, etc) and post back with that name if the 'Del' key doesn't get you into BIOS setup.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.