Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with a computer of mine. I turned it off one night. When i turned it on the next day, when windows was beginning to load it would restart normally then bring me to a screen asking me what mode i want to start in. If i attempt to load in safe mode i get a load of text and eventually the computer will restart and the cycle will continue. From what I have observed windows seems to be restarting once it gets to the third bar going across at the first screen. There is a quick blue screen, i have no clue what it says. Since a video is worth a thousand words i decided to upload one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS833ClQ46A

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a problem with a gigabyte board as well m8y, hang in there!

did it shut down normally? you didnt pull the plug or anything?
Do you have a surge protector?

That blue screen is the blue screen of death you might of heard of :/

The only other explanation is what did you do before you shut it down? did you install anything? I installed this program that i think tricks the PC into thinking its a CDdrive or something. and the PC just switched off all of a sudden, and wouldnt switch back on. lol.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Nathan,

This can happen with a botched shutdown, faulty program install/uninstall, malware.

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration"? It's one of the options after Safe Mode.

You can also try a repair installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried last good configuration to no luck. I turned off my computer like i usually do, by holding in the button for 4 seconds or so. I don't think that would have caused this though. I don't recall installing anything the night before. I'm going to try cleaning dust out of my computer and make sure everything is connected etc. I'm also going to run memory test. None of it will probably work though. The only thing id be devastated to lose is pictures, which i fortunely have backed up on an external HDD. Music, games, programs etc i could all get back it would just be a pain.

Id really like to know if this is a hardware issue of something wrong with windows. If someone can point me into the right direction for getting files i need from HDD without needing windows that would be great, but it may not be a good option. I tried Knoppix, however it wont completely load Linux client.

Is there a way to reinstall windows OS without losing files? I would try it, but id still like a way to get important files off the HDD, as i dont completely trust windows.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Is there a way to reinstall windows OS without losing files? I would try it, but id still like a way to get important files off the HDD, as i dont completely trust windows.
That's what a repair install is for:

1 - Using a regular XP CD (not a branded restore CD), boot to it.

2 - At the first screen, press ENTER

3 - Press F8 to agree to the EULA

4 - Press 'R' to repair an existing XP installation

5 - Highlight your XP install (should only be one) and press ENTER

6 - Let it run its course. You will have to provide the Product ID (cd key), and will probably have to reload drivers for video, sound, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.