Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently got hit by an aggressive trojan that started with disabling my sound, and crippling my internet connection to finally causing my windows XP to stop booting correctly. It would just freeze moments after the desktop loaded, becoming completely unresponsive.

I tried to do an OS repair but that too failed. Repair was unusually slow then ground to a halt at the 29 minute mark (Performing Configuration Stage) with some sort of +COM failure (sorry forgot to write down the exact details). Repair setup is not able to go beyond that point, so I restart the process. Same thing happens, repair gets stuck at the same point, and now I can't boot up XP at all because it goes straight into repair.

Is there anything I can do to save this installation? A reformat and reconfiguration of my PC takes days to do and I'm short on time.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I doubt there is anything you can do at this point to avoid a full wipe and reinstall. You can run off a live linux version if you need to get work done before you get around to actually reinstalling XP and configuring your computer, but your XP applications will obviously not run in such a setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I've reformatted the partition but now the problem is my secondary partition has been renamed to C drive by Windows setup. Without reformatting the entire partition, my only choice is to install it on the primary partition which has now been renamed E drive.

Would there be any problems with this? I don't have anything particularly associated with C drive but it would be less confusing for me to have the system partition be named C drive anyway.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Can you use disk management from within the XP install CD (or some other live CD) to rename the partitions correctly before the installation? I have not had partitions undergo drive letter changes like that, so I am not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you use disk management from within the XP install CD (or some other live CD) to rename the partitions correctly before the installation? I have not had partitions undergo drive letter changes like that, so I am not sure.
I've tried using disk management after installation to try to change the drive letter, but it won't let me. How would you start up disk management without actually installing XP first?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What about something like GParted? I am not very familiar with this unique situation because I have not had something like this happen to me. Also take a look here.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Is the partition truly necessary ?

From what I've read, it's not a good idea to try to change drive letter names. It's not happened to me, but they say things run buggy afterwards. You've just done the reinstall. If it were me, I'd delete the partition and just re-run the install. That partition is of little to no practical value, and is a problem just waiting to happen.

You might be able to speed things up by slipsteaming a disk with nLite. You can get all the updates and SP3 slipstreamed, and configure the disk to run with no User input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the SYSTEM DRIVE drive letter cannot be change only other drives that has no system drive can be modified.

you can try to boot some PARTITION softwares upon bootup and change the drive letters and then reformat again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.