Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently reformatted my XP Home edition and reinstalled a fresh copy of XP, took me 5 attempts to get it the way I wanted it. On the first reformat, it asked me for the Windows Key #, it never asked me again any other time. Also, on the 3rd or 4th try, it wouldn't let me sign on the computer as my previous computer name !! In fact, it said 'enter a computer name other than Admin, Guest, or Flyers16. How could it know my old pc name if I just reformatted ?..ahh, it's microsoft, forgot for a sec : ) Anyway, after some reading on this subject, I saw in one of the tweak guides that for a fresh reformat, you need to boot off a win98 boot disk and eventually do a A:>Reformat C: ..after getting through this and reformatting, I then had to reformat again off of the XP CD in order to change the FAT32 file system back to NTFS. After the many hours for this, I eventually reinstalled XP and yet again, it never prompted me for a win key #, how can this be ? It let me name the PC flyers16 this time but no key #. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas why it was doing this. many thanks.....

S

·
0 Posts
Howdy flyers16 and welcome to the forums...............:D

If you just formatted the hard drive it doesn't really get rid of everything on there totally. There are enough remnants left over that the OS will read them off of the hard drive.

If you want to clean the drive off good you need to run a disk wiping software or write zeros to your hard drive. Most hard drive manufacturers have a disk that will allow you to do this.

What brand is your hard drive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Speedo...thanks for the response. I could understand minor detail data still being on the drive, but not stuff such as the key # and previous computer name, I can't think MS would think that's how it's supposedto work.
Thought using the floppy would have taken care of it, no big deal though. I'm all formatted out for the time being....I have a Western Digital 1200JB ....I'll definitely run disk wiping software whenever the next time comes for me to reformat, not important enough to do it now, but curious nonetheless......thanks again..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.