Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just setting up a new computer. P4 3.0 cpu, ASUS PC4-800 Deluxe, Maxtor 200 gig HD. Win XP SP1

Problem: Win XP sees a 189 gig partition (NTFS) but says that 62 gig is used (the HD only has operating system on it and a few other programs totalling about 3 gigs)

Background: HD is connected to the Promise controller at 0 raid to enable ultra DMA 133. Initially XP would not see the drive, so I installed the OS with the hard drive on the IDE port then loaded the ASUS promise controller drivers as well as Maxtor big disk access fix. Then I switched the hard drive to the promise controller port and everything boots up ok and it recognizes the initial single partition that winXP created except that 60 gig is used.

Maybe when windows initially boots from the CD, I need to install a raid driver when it asks for it? I believe it loads a promise driver into memory from the install cd???

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have tried a lot of things to get this far.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, you don't need the "Maxtor big disk fix", whatever that is! :D

I've used several of the Promise controllers that Maxtor and WD ship with their big drives, all you need to use them are the drivers that are provided.

When you boot from the install CD, you'll see a message at the bottom of the screen to hit F6 to load 3rd party disk drivers. You want to do exactly that right there, and swap the installation CD for the driver CD to install the Promise drivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I actually fixed the problem last night by running error checking. It fixed something that apparently was a problem, now I have the whole disk available. Sometimes it is an elusively simple fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.