Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya everyone.

I've recently started to have problems with an otherwise good system. This issue has come from no where and I can't recall installing or changing anything that would cause this problem.

Everytime I plug my Speedtouch USB Wireless network stick into my Windows XP Computer (not laptop) windows reboots itself. Sometimes it does it immediately, other times it'll take 10 seconds or even up to 10 minutes before it reboots. After rebooting it will enter a cycle of rebooting everytime the system gets as far as the mouse cursor. Ocassionally icons will appear and then it'll reboot. As soon as I remove the USB device from the port it boots normally. I can run the computer, play games, work, do whatever and it's fine until the USB wireless stick plugs in again.

I have tried the USB Wireless stick in every USB port available (2 fore and 2 aft). My USB keyboard and wireless mouse work fine in all the available sockets. I'm currently on a wired USB mouse though after many system restores it's easier to set up.

I have run system restore to numerous points, and gone back as far as I can with that.

I have tried an indentical Speedtouch USB network stick (running fine on another PC) and it does the same. Both sticks work in a second PC.

I have removed and re-installed the Speedtouch software.

I have run a full AVG 8.0 Antivirus scan with no faults found.

I have run hijackthis and looked for anything out of place, with nothing unusual.

I have the 'automatically restart' option unticked in the system properties bar with reference to system failures.

I have run Dells System check from the Bios/Startup menu. It threw up a couple of USB connection faults that seemed hardware related. I don't have those details as didn't write them down but could get them if it'd help?

Below are system details etc:

Dell Dimension E521 (18months old)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
1024Mhz Ram
Bios Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.1.4, 09/12/2006
Windows XP Media Centre Version 2002. Service Pack 3. Version 5.1.2600.
Internet Explorer Version 7.0.5730.11

Thomson Speedtouch 121g Wireless 802.11g Adaptor

I'm currently trying to get a Belkin Wireless USB stick to work but the software with it's not very good and it doesn't want to play ball.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm normally ok with computers but this has got me stumped!

Thanks

Dave

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
This may not help but, go into the Device Manager, Right click any of the USB Root Hubs and choose Properties. Go to the Power Management tab and Un-check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
9,133 Posts
Disable your anti-virus and firewall before plugging the device in.

Also, when in Device Manager, press all the plus signs and see if you find an exclamation point when the device is plugged in, if there is one then there is a hardware conflict and you need to double click to find out what is wrong.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
I have removed and re-installed the Speedtouch software.
This might not actually uninstall the driver.
Try this:
Uninstall the Speedtouch software from Add/Remove Programs.
Boot to Safe Mode (tap F8 as the system boots)
Open Device Manager (Start | Run, type devmgmt.msc, press Enter)
Click View | Show Hidden Devices
Remove every instance of the Speedtouch device. It should be shown under Network Adapters.

Reboot to normal mode, and see if re-installing does the trick.

If not, you may want to repeat the above and also remove all USB hubs and controllers under Universal Serial Bus Controllers while in safe mode.

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I've followed the first two suggestions to no further avail, that is turning off Powersave on the USB roots and also looking for hardware conflicts.

More recently, after a system restore to the earliest point (January sometime) the computer seemed ok. It allowed me to boot, use the USB Wireless stick and download about 25 windows updates. These all installed fine and everything worked ok for a few days. Now the problems back but not as bad as before.

The computer still won't boot with the USB stick plugged in, but if I plug it in after the computer has loaded and settled I can get anywhere from 2minutes to 2 hours on the internet before it restarts. After it's restarted it just doesn't want to know though, so next time the I plug the stick in it more or less restarts straight away.

I'm currently removing all traces of the Speedtouch software as suggested above and am going to try and re-install a more up-to-date driver if I can.

Incidentally I tried a Belkin USB Wireless stick and my computer didn't even recognise it as a Device despite other computers being able to see it.

Will keep you posted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jerry

Just trying your suggestion for removing hidden/tricky parts of the speedtouch software. There is indeed a heading under the Network Adaptors section of Device Manager. It's titled "Speedtouch 121g Wireless USB Adaptor - Packet Scheduler Miniport".
However when I try to uninstall it I get the following: "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."
I tried disabling the device, rebooting and then trying to remove it, so not joy. I have now left it disabled.

Update:
Rebooted into normal mode and plugged in the USB stick in the hope that I could set it up with windows own wireless network utility. No joy, it tells me the Device isn't installed properly.

I went into Device Manager and the disabled "- Packet Scheduler Miniport" was still disabled. As soon as I clicked 'Enable' The computer rebooted. Upon reboot the Device is still listed as 'Disabled'

Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

Dave

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Hmm, the Speedtouch 121g Wireless USB Adaptor - Packet Scheduler Miniport should have been removed when the main entry (Speedtouch 121g Wireless USB Adaptor) was removed.
Might have to manually remove the driver from the registry.
I couldn't find anything on this model on the Thomson or Alcatel web sites. I was hopeing to find an uninstaller or a guide to manually removing the device.

I did find this driver on the DriverGuide website, version 3.3.36.0
It looks like a pretty standard Network card install.
I don't have one so the installer won't actually create the Registry entries so I can't confirm that the following covers all the entries it makes, but removing these should effectively uninstall the card.
If you are using a different version of the driver it may be different.

Be very careful editing the registry. Creating a restore point and exporting a copy of the tree you are working in are always a good idea. Export the key one level up from the one you plan on deleting as well as the actual key you are going to delete.
But, accidentally deleting the wrong key, especially in the System tree, can make the system unbootable in which case a live CD of some kind might be needed to undo any goofs.

There are three main keys for a network adapter. First:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\00XX
There will be several 00XX entries, you'll need to look in each one to find the Speedtouch device, should be easy to spot the description.
Under that key will be an Ndi key. That will have a Service value, which will contain the name of the entry in the Services tree. Should be BT4501G so you would look here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BT4501G
This will have an ImagePath entry that points to the actual driver file.
There are two driver files, BT4501G.sys and BT4501G1.sys which should be in Windows\System32\Drivers. Only one may be listed in this key though.

For an internal card, the miniport key is under Root. A USB adapter might use the USB tree instead. You can check in Device Manager.
Right click the Speedtouch 121g Wireless USB Adaptor - Packet Scheduler Miniport entry and click Properties.
Click the Details tab.
Select Device Instance ID if it's not already selected.
The Enum key is listed here.
For example, my internal card shows this:
Root\MS_PSCHEDMP\0002, so the registry key is this:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\MS_PSCHEDMP\0002
If you don't have a Details tab here's how to add it:
To add a Details tab to Device Manager's Properties dialog:

1. Control Panel | System | Advanced | Environment Variables | System variables | New.

2. Set the Variable name to DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS and the Variable value to 1.

I would export those 3 keys to the desktop then delete them, then delete the driver files and the monitor program if they are still present.
Reboot, make sure it's not present in the Device Manager, reboot again, then try re-installing.

The Monitor Software is installed in Program Files\Thompson and creates a registry entry here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Thompson
It also puts a shortcut in the Common Startup folder to start it at boot:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry

After deleting all the registry entries you suggested the "Speedtouch 121g Wireless USB Adaptor - Packet Scheduler Miniport" was still showing in Windows system.

Upon tidying the house I came across the original speedtouch installation CD. I tried to install this and it hit a few errors, telling my old installations we're corrupted. After a few goes I managed to get it on and the remove it properly leaving no trace of the speedtouch software anywhere.

However on re-install I'm still have the same problem, the computer reboots as soon as it hits windows with the USB stick plugged in. A new development is windows discovering "Windows Packet Scheduler Miniport #4" but not being able to do anything about installing software for it as I have no internet connection.

I think I'm going to buy a new USB network stick on wednesday, although last time I tried that I bought a Belkin one and the PC in question doesn't recognise it!

Any Final suggestions?

And thanks again for your help.

Dave

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
I have run Dells System check from the Bios/Startup menu. It threw up a couple of USB connection faults that seemed hardware related. I don't have those details as didn't write them down but could get them if it'd help?
Only other thing I can think of is there is something going on with the USB controller/ports that the Wireless just plain doesn't like. A mouse and Keyboard aren't as demanding so may not have a problem, but the Wireless has to integrate with the system much more deeply, and could well be affected by something that won't affect other devices.

You've tried another one of these and get the same results. I'm assuming you also tried this one on the other system to confirm that it is working. Is so, theat would point towards the PC rather than the USB device.

I don't know if the details from the BIOS check would be meaningful to me, but can't hurt to post them. Someone else may have seen that same issue and have a better answer for you.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.