Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intel celeron D processor, GHz 2.66 on the package I can read that it supports 64bit computing, does that mean that I can install Windows XP Professinoal 64? Will my computer work harder (I mean the processor) if I install this version of windows?

Thank you

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes, your computer should be able to run the x64 version of windows. Just be cautioned that there aren't a lot of drivers out there for it, so it might not be worth it if you have to buy all new equipment to get it to run right. I was foolish and bought it about a year and a half ago when i built my main box, and figured it was the next thing and i wouldn't have to wait for drivers. Well, i uninstalled it about a month later and it sits there collecting dust. I did notice it was slightly faster than the 32 bit version, but the pitfalls of not having my hardware work turned me off.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think its worth your while sticking to 32bit until Vista is released, i'm guessing alot of new drivers regarding 64bit whether its Vista or XP will be on offer. Also in the near future a final XP service pack will be released and quite possibly with extra drivers. I noticed as well that a few applications and games don't work or if they do, not very well with the 64bit version.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your advice and feedback.
Rashiki, if yours is collecting dust would you like to sell it? How much does it cost? I live in the EU.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Naw, i think i'm going to hang on to it. Once vista comes out, i'm hoping the influx of 64 bit drivers will trickle down to my equipment and i can use it for day to day operations. If i remember correctly, it was about the same as 32 bit, just over 100 bucks US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.