Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ive built a new system, using a an8Sli MB, amd64 3200, 6600Gt and a coolriver water cooling system. It all works fine, but slowly develops errors overtime, saying stuff like xxxx file is a bad image, and it steadily gets worse, then when i run a scan disk it fixes the errors, usually in index files (or something im not sure), rescues orphaned files etc. Sometimes the system freezes for no apparent reason, even if its just left on the desktop screen. The power supply is the only cheapy component as it came with the case, it is 400W, which i thought should be enough, but is it this thats causing the problem?
NB, ive been using it for about 6-7 weeks, and still no change

Thanks

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
yes , it could very well be the psu, check your requirements here
although this method isnt fail safe, its a start, just add 20 to 30% to the load.
cheap psu's are a bad thing :sayno:

does your system react this way with the side off and a floor fan blowing in?

lastly, what are your programs for anti spy and virus?

post back

·
1,438 Posts
Have you run the hard drive manufacturers drive analysis utility to check to see if the drive is having problems/ failing?
Do you have System Monitoring And Reporting Tool (SMART) for the hard drive enabled in bios so that it will warn if the drives parameters change or failure appears likely?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it still does it with the side off, and it did it before i hade even installed mcuh software or even connected it to the internet. i will try the hard drive check if i can find the program (its a maxtor diamondmax 9 or 10).
Not sure exactly what the SMART thing is, but i will have a look.
Spyware wise i have AVG, adaware, spyware doctor, spybot search and destroy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ive bought a new PSU, and ive not gone for a cheap crappy one, so i will put it through its paces and let you know if i have any more problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.