Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i'm trying to install the following updates, and they won't go in. of course MSFT doesn't offer any way to look into why that is, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas? i've tried them all individually as well, and they won't go in that either. i also tried installing them inside safe mode, no dice.

No Updates Were Installed

The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB828035)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB825119)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB823182)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB824141)

View installation history

thnx

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Do you have an up to date virus scanner? Try looking in taskmanager for msblast.exe or other rpc vulnerability viruses. You might have to remove the virus prior to patching the software. Unplug from your network/internet connection and then check for and remove (if found) the programs.

After that turn the firewall on on your internet connection and try updating again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't think that's it

yes i have an update virus scanner which runs scans daily. i also have all other updates installed except the ones listed in my original post. additionally i run adaware & spybot on a weekly basis, so i believe it is a windows problem, not a 3rd party sw or exploit.

i run ZA Pro already, so i don't (and won't) use the Windows FW

thnx for the ideas though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Windows XP Update

Have encountered the same problem. Whether thru Automatic Update, or the WU web site, these updates fail to install: 820035 - 825119 - 823182 - 824141. The installer never completes its work.

And then Win XP will not shut down as it should - I must actually turn off the computer manually. The shutdown process gets to "Windows is shutting down ...", but it never shuts down.

Have also observed that the Backup Utility will not work properly, except when Win XP has been freshly booted.

As Fudd would say, "Something skwewy is going on awound here!"

I've experienced these problems since an Automatic Update on October 16 (Update Rollup 1, KB826939).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Later: When running Windows Update > Scan for updates, there were 9 critical updates missing: 828750, 828038, 825119, 826939, 823182, 824141, 824146, 823718, 816093. I let the installer run overnight, and all these updates were finally installed. All now seems well. But installation took several hours. For long periods of time, there was no CPU activity.

I had McAfee firewall turned off (but ICF was on) - earlier with McAfee on, the installer was sending to the Internet.

So I guess my advice would be to be very patient!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.