Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have XP Pro.
Recently I have used a double monitor set-up at one of my jobs & really like it.
I have.....
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
I'm sure I'm going to need a new card?
My question is in XP?
I have seen on other machines w/ XP from an multiple monitor option / set-up in Display Properties.......
For some reason I do not seem to have this?
Would this be installed when I get a new card or ?????
Please advise on how best to accomplish this.
THANKS,

fmg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you installed the drivers for your grapics card of the orignal, cd, if so then do the folowing
rightclick on the desktop>properties>settings>advanced> and mess around with the settings there. It is best to note if you have a clone option on the grapics card settings then this will enable you to have a dual display
Below is a link that will explain it all

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/reviews/3mon_gf4/

I see you are from Ireland??? well at least i think you are cos you have in your name

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well......

I guess I need to update my drivers as the option in desktop>properties>settings>advanced> you suggest just is not there?
It looks like my video card can handle two monitors.
One normal & one DVI.
Its a "hand-me down" but high end Sony Vaio!
I wil try and locate the latest driver & install.

As for Ireland, I love the place.
I went there for three months & came back five years later!
My wife is from Castlebar, Co. Mayo.
is 8:22am too early for a Guinness?

fmg

·
Registered
72 Posts
never to early for a guinness :sayyes: :sayyes: :sayyes: :sayyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated my drivers

still no luck.
Just not showing the two monitor option inside Display?

fmg

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Does your card have a DVI output? It may, with an adapter, support dual monitors alone. I set a couple up this way, and it works fine. Much more working space to spread out into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It may be that the dual monitor option won't show up until the first time the second monitor is actually there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
driver

Stu,
Thanks for the link but there is a more recent version of the drive available that I aready have installed?

Fox,
yes, I have a DVI output & and the required adaptor.

DVOM,
Even with the second monitor attached I get nothing!

Any other ideas?

fmg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you getting anything on the second monitor? You should at least be getting the same thing as on your primary monitor.

If not I'd say the vid card needs replacing.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
There's nothing in Display properties-> settings-> advanced -> [video card model name] -> nView Display settings? With mine you can set it up under "display mode".

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that your video card just won't run two moniters by itself. Its probably vga or dvi but not both working at the same time with different moniters. If you want dual moniters you'll need to get another videocard to A. replace yoru current video card or B. work with the video card you have now with a moniter running off of each. I don't think he has a problem with drivers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Troy, thanks for the advice

Could you give me an idea of what card(s) would be good.
FYI I never game, not at all, not even a little bit!
I really just want the set-up so I can work Act & Eudora on one screen while using the net on the other.
Any advice would be great & thanks agian.

fmg

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Troy said:
I think that your video card just won't run two moniters by itself. Its probably vga or dvi but not both working at the same time with different moniters. If you want dual moniters you'll need to get another videocard to A. replace yoru current video card or B. work with the video card you have now with a moniter running off of each. I don't think he has a problem with drivers.
Not true. Do the research before you make a hundred dollar suggestion. This card does support multi-monitor configurations.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wellll........

I just can not get this card to run a double monitor set-up.
So.....
At this point I'm willing to buy a new card.
Is there a decnt low price double VGA output card out there that somebody is having or has had good luck with?
THANKS,

fmg

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If you don't plan on running graphics-intensive things (games) on the second monitor, you can get as cheap a card as you want- just make sure it's PCI if the one you have now is an AGP, and that the card at least supports the resolution you want to run in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.