Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put the guest account with the min access it still allows the user to search through the files in my admin account through my computer.. how do prevent that so the guest account can not look at any files on the network or the local harddrive and can only surf the net..

zb

XP Professional

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guest Account

The guest account allows the computer to 'share'. The only thing which should be disallowed are profiles not associated with the guest (ie. administrator, John Doe).

To block the guest, or only allow persmissions for prefered users... go to the folder(s) of your choice and right mouse click then followed by selecting 'sharing and security'. Select the security tab and here is where you are able to edit the security permissions of any user. Select 'add' and type in guest, then disallow all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Security

This is the fact under a domain environment. The guest would be restricted in ways of installation and system-wide changes. The guest account has the same access rights as a user, their restrictions just go a little further. These restrictions I do not know of. You want to hide folders or files. When you say that the user is able to search through your admin files, I surely do not think you are refering to your administrators profile. Any other folder outside of this is very possible.

Try this site hopefully it helps. I am used to the domain environment, so forgot about the limitations of the local computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/LPE_topnode.asp

Basically you need to open the local security policy *.mmc and edit your requests through this util. If you are unable to find or do not have administrative tools, look for adminpak.exe.

Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just read somewhere that you have to keep the folders u want private in the my documents folder to keep them private but there has to be some other way..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man that ****

man that **** looks way to complicated.. there is no easier way to get the stuff not in the my documents folder protected from guest users?

p

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you want to restrict any or all folders from access by the Guest account, and you use the NTFS filesystem, you can do it by managing the group permissions. Basically, you have to put all the users in a specific group, and remove the permissions from Everybody on the folders/disks in question. Be sure you add the groups that the non-Guest accounts are in with the proper permissions. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.