Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have more than one user account on xp I know on the pro version I can protect the 'my documents' folder. I right click on the this folder, choose 'properties' and tick 'make folder private'. This is good so that no one can access the content by right clicking on the start menu and exploring, so accidental copying or deleting doesnt happen with users that like to click around aimlessly (!).

What I was wondering was how I can protect other files that arent in my 'documents' or desktop folder? Or how I can protect files which are on a seperate drive or split section of the same drive. It seems I can only protect the one My Docs folder from my user profile, Desktop and the Start Menu. I can create an extra 'my documents' folder on the split second part of the WD drive, and one on the Maxtor hard drive, but my problem is that if I try and protect my files, only the original documents folder which is on the first part of the western digital drive is ever protected. I have 2 hard drives, one large western digital 300g with xp installed. This drive is split into 2 150g parts. My other drive is a Maxtor 160g. Similarly, if I ever needed to restore my system to a previous time and leave the docs folders alone, only the original documents folder would be untouched, but the rest of my documents folders are unfortunately changed with the restore.

Are there any programms out there that will let me protect more folders? Or will I just need to cram it all into the one user docs folder?
Any help would be great! cheers :sayyes:

·
Registered
559 Posts
There are programs such as, but not limited to, Firelock, folder guard, and Hide Files.

You can also right click a file, go to properties and make it hidden.
-blitze

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.