Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy that used to work at my company install more ram memory on my computer. :upset:He said he would also put XP Pro on it...I told him I liked Home but he said I could have both and it would work better and faster for me. He assured me it would do no damage, but it has or maybe just messed things up. I turn on and pick which I want then in Home nothign works...not my favs, not typing a site in go line not clicking on links...I get a message Application not available. I have done a restore to yesterday on it but it didn't help.

Can I uninstall pro and not lose any info and is it easy enough for an old lady that knows little about puters to do?:4-dontkno

Is there anyone that I can get to help me or do it for me thru remote assistant? Please help, I am handicapped and work from home online and need my puter working right for me.::pray:

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
unless that guy gave you a legal xp pro cd, you have an illegal operating system on your computer. That guy need to be shot if thats the case.

Did he partition a drive to install xp pro? or was it installed on a second drive on your computer? does the nonworking application work in pro? Finally do you have a xp cd or recovery cd for home?

Basically all you need to do is to format the partition/drive that xp pro was installed on to get rid of it - start xp home, go to my computer, highlight and rightclick the drive xp pro is on, then click on format. Finally insert your xp home cd and boot to the recovery console. Once there just type fixmbr and it should take care of your dual boot screen.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello Altanana ,

from what i have read & understand from your post you really need to get yourself a real computer tech at a legit shop to help you for it sound like your system is unstable for 1 and 2 do you know this person that did this very well ? 3 i would contack him to let him know of the situation that he has caused and that you might go to the prossecuting attory for taking advanage of the handicapand he is to refund your money and pay for the repairs

i say this for there are alot of scammers out there waiting for people like you

what did really do ???

we can help but you are going be exspected to do things that you already stated that you can not , for some things are going to require some more knowledge

UNLESS you get some one that is going to take there time in working thru this process with you

this is my advice to you

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both sobeit and mike, for your quick and helpful responses. No I don't know this guy, just a friend of a friend of a friend at work who knows him. I only wanted someone to put in the new memory for me and I did check at the computer store and they wanted $80. I only earn about $175 a week and meds and food take all of that. I don't have a cd for the xp pro, I asked him for one, but he said he only had one and I could buy one if I needed it. I really don't need pro at all, I have been very happy with home and don't see the need for two anyway. My only concern at this time is in losing what I have on home. I do have the disc for home and hope that will be simple enough to do and restore home for me.

One other question please. I work from home and until I get this mess fixed right it will interfere with my job. I have 4 programs for work and one of them won't work on either system now. It will pop up a screen then it pops off right away. No message or anything.

I will be notifying someone if what he is doing is illegal. I don't want any part of doing anything wrong. I only wanted the ram installed, the computer and home was working fine. I only paid him $20 to do it and it took him just 2 hours. I don't know diddly about partitioning etc, but I only have one hard drive, so that is what he must have done. So if I delete it and do the restore will it "unpartition" automatically?

Sadly there are too many who will take advantage, and I should have known better and tried to put it in myself as I was told I could, I was just intimidated by it because I was afraid of doing something wrong and not being able to work.

Thanks again for the help and I will find my CD this week end. Sobeit, would you be available here or on IM to answer any questions I have if I run into a problem when I do it? Yikes, what if I can't get online or even get the puter to work.:sigh: Do you know how I can find someone in my area that would help me for a small fee?

Thanks again for all your help. Alta

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK i have my original discs from dell for xp home and ms etc...I don't have a restore disc, but put the home operating system disc in and it says: Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

my computer is 4 years old and out of warrantee so I called microsoft and they said dell would have to help me. Should I just go ahead and lose whatever settings I have since newer microsoft version? It seems like that may be the problem now with the "Application can't be found" message I am getting. Thanks, Alta

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
OK i have my original discs from dell for xp home and ms etc...I don't have a restore disc, but put the home operating system disc in and it says: Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.
That message indicates that your installation disc is SP1 but your existing Operating System is PS2. . the only way to get past that is to wipe the drive and do a clean install.

We can guide you thru that if you want, but it can be a daunting process for someone who has never done it before.

he said that Pro would work better and faster for me
This indicates that he does not have a clue about XP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have home working pretty well now but it is showing unstable...I don't want to lose all of my data so did a repair...what I need to do is uninstall pro. I will try what sobeit suggested, but would like someone avail at the time I do it....if you know how according to sobeit's post, please tell me when you can be here if I need help while I do it. Thanks Alta

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello again , :wave:

okay , as you can see that there are plenty of techs here that are mor thn capable even i , now if we can set a date to do this on i bet that there will be many here that will be watching as this done

I KNOW I WILL

so if i know the day that you want to do this on i will clear my sched. with my other non TSF clients so i will be here !!!

i just didn't know if you were up to the task ??

between all of us we can get your system back to stable and puring like a kitten !!!

i have a few clients that this has been done to so i know how you feel and people like that need to be wooped like a bad child.................

i /we will be waiting for you !!

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am available every morning 6 to 9 am EST because I work from 11:30 am to 5:30 pm so am avail anytime after 5:30 pm to ??? I am anxious to get this done and off my puter. I have gotten my home working pretty well but still a few things I can see are not the same, also there may be a lot I don't know about.

I really appreciate all the help and it is nice to have you all pretty much agreeing as to what I need to do...now it is just getting it done. I am ready and willing, but would prefer a tech that would do remote assistance and do it for me. I don't mind a small fee as I said, I really need the security of my puter working right as it is my only way of income.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
. Sobeit, would you be available here or on IM to answer any questions I have if I run into a problem when I do it?
I am not on here all the time and the times are inconsistant. Theres plenty of good people here that can help if you have problems.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello Altanana,

its been a couple of yrs since i have done a remote connect !! , plus there are going to be some steps that you will have to do for there will be times you won't be able be connected to the internet to compleat them , you will have to print these steps for there will be to many to remember

okay here are some steps that you must do .......

#1 prepare your self for the worst

#2 start backing up all your data as in ( passwords , saved documents , e-mail addresses , web site addresses , contack info, ect..anything of importance to your business

if you have to burn it to disk or if you have an exsternal harddrive transfer all that data to it , this is a must

#3 get all your disks ready that concern your system and any added programs , if you have programs that you have on your system redownload them but save them so that they can be reinstalled and put them to disk as a safeguard incase the worst happens

#4 all you personal data like ( pictures , personal addresses , phone numbers , ect..

#5 make sure that there is no data on the XP Pro version that could be lost , if there is put it to disk or an exsternal harddrive

#6 stop useing the XP Pro version compleatly

when this is done we can work on getting the XP Home version stablized so that we can remove the XP Pro version

Mike

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
How are the two XP versions installed? That information can be found in a file called boot.ini.
Could you copy the text in boot.ini and post it here?

To open boot.ini:
Click Start > Run - type sysdm.cpl > click OK.
In system properties: Click the Advanced tab >
click Settings under Startup and Recovery >
Under System Startup, click Edit.

Boot.ini will open in Notepad.

·
TSF Enthusiast
601 Posts
this is probably not necessary but just to remember Dell computers tend to have a utility and a restore partition, so just to watch out for which partition is formatted! Sorry if this is OTT.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
Once you answer engles question, we will have a better idea how to proceed.

I have some other questions as well:

What model Dell is it?

When you first turn it on, watch the screen closely for a prompt similar to this: Press Cntl F11 to recover your system . . don't do that yet, just tell us if you see the prompt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dell Dimension 2400
Intel(R)
Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.66 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

I have all disc for XP Home and the other discs that came with the computer. I did a "fix" with the disc for home and am missing one file....ialmnt5.sys where would I find that?

boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS2
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I am working until 6 today but can get back around 7.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
The ialmnt5.sys is an Intel graphics driver.
Try reinstalling the chipset driver, then the graphics driver.

XP Professional is installed in C:\WINDOWS2.

To change the boot path so XP home is the default OS:
Click Start > Run. Type msconfig, click OK.
In msconfig > click the Boot.ini tab > Highlight "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn" > click the "Set as default" button.
Click Apply, then OK and close msconfig.

Reboot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.