Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

xp pro installation won't proceed

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Old Rich 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have xp pro sp3 installed in my pc and just yesterday I've encountered problems.

- XP will stall on the welcome page and my cursor would hang. No hdd activity since the hdd LED on my case doesn't show any light anymore.

- If I reboot after the win splash screen it goes to chckdsk automatically. If I allow chkdsk to proceed it hangs at 7 percent of verifying files at stage 2 of 3.

- Even if I leave the pc for 3 hours the 7 percent has not changed and the LED lamp of my hdd is off, indicating no activity.

- I've attempted several times inserting my XP installer cd, but then it seems to hang at the point wherein it says "Windows is starting up" but then even if I leave the pc alone for a couple of hours the screen is still showing the same starting up part. Again the LED lamp is dead hence no hdd activity again.

- I've tried doing this several TIMES TO NO AVAIL.

- I have no backups of the files in my hdd, hence I just can't reformat my hdd right away.

- I also don't have a spare pc at home or nearby that I can use to back up my hdd. I do have a Vaio, but after upgrading to win7 recently, the hdd on that laptop has been locked out. It seems my upgrade was faulty somewhere. This though is another issue that i would have to post anew.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
The more you fiddle with that drive, the less likely data recovery is likely. If you have data you cherish, I would take the drive out and temporarily attach to a working pc to salvage files . . it works best if you attach to the secondary channel, the one with the CD/DVD drives.

How to slave a hard drive: http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

Then I would run diagnostics on the hard drive ( click here )

See this for how to make a bootable cd

You may have to take ownership of the files first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.