Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... i've been searching around the internet for solutions to my problem but i cant seem to find anyone with the same specific problem as mine..

so my problem is i have an HP pavilion dv6500 which came with windows vista 32bit... now i want to downgrade it to XP Professional 32bit.. my bootable cd already comes with SATA drivers since my laptop uses SATA.. boot priority set to CD/DVD ROM.. my CD-ROM works fine and is detected by bios.. my disc is 100% bootable coz i tried it on different laptops and it boots on all of them... EXCEPT for my laptop mentioned earlier..

so there's my problem... a bootable disk not booting even with proper settings... i have tried a different disk which is my windows xp home edition cd which does boot but does not have sata support so it doesnt detect my HDD.. so i dont know where the problem might be...

xp pro disk wont boot but xp home edition boot
both disks boot on other laptops...
both OS's are 32 bit..

Hope someone can help... thnx a lot!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
and welcome to the Forum

If you have the BIOS set to boot first from the CD/DVD drive, and you do not get the prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD" either the drive or the disc is faulty.

Since the pc will boot from an original installation disc, the drive has likely weakened with age and will not recognize a copy. . . That is not unusual.

Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.