Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
i have XP Pro + Sp2 on a desktop at home.
i want to create 2 different and indipendent one each other accounts.
(as if i have installed twice windows and so i would have 2 admins)

i want an account for me and another one for my family.
don't want they influence each other..
how can i do that ?
please help me.. :)
thanks a lot

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I would think that partitioning the HD and installing XP on the other partition as a "dual-boot" system would do this, but you would need to change the boot priority each time you changed from one to the other. This would accomplish the complete "separateness" you seem to want, as the two installations would be as if they were on two completely different drives. But changing the boot order in BIOS would be a bit of a hassle.

-Or-

You could Install XP on the same drive by just running it, and when it finds the old installation it will ask you if you want to overwrite it. Say "No" and it will create a new one.

The down side here is that XP will always ask you which installation you want to run every time you boot.

I assume you are aware of the different User accounts you could do. You could have two Administrator accounts on the same installation, each with separate passwords. Is your concern malware from one installation infecting the other, or security concerns ? It seems to me that password protected separate User accounts would provide adequate security.

·
UK
1,142 Posts
A couple of other thoughts on access.

I have two hardrives on the same PC with a completely separate edition of windows on each drive, and I can use my f11 key during boot to raise a menu that offers the choice of which drive to boot from - not sure if it works with partitions though, plus your system may not have the f11 menu facility as an option.

Also, I have Linux Xandros installed, which during installation sets up a page that offers a list of all operating systems on the machine, and you choose which one to boot from by using the 'up - down' arrow keys. If no choice is entered, it does default to boot from Linux after about 60 seconds, but I would think the default can be changed, I've never actually attempted that.

Xandros can be set up with completely separate accounts which can only be accessed with a password. The retail version, which I bought for a fiver on ebay, comes with Firefox and Open Office word processing, spread sheet, etc, etc. I believe there is a basic free version you can download from the Xandros website. It's very easy to install, and although somewhat different from windows, fairly straightforward to use. If you are looking for an O/S to surf the net with and use for office applications, Xandros is great. But if you want to run the latest games, you might hit a few snags. The retail versions will run some windows software.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.