Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to partition my hard drive. How many gigs should I allow for my XP which is and will be my master O/S. I have all my programs, files, and folders on it and will be copying them to another partition for safekeeping, but will only be moving high volume files like audio, video and photos? I won't be adding anymore large programs or files, so I would like to give it a 30 to 50% buffer to be safe. If I add up presently used space on my C and D drives and then added my buffer would that be correct? Do I need to calculate the space the files I'm moving and subtract that? Is there a formula or rule of thumb to use?

·
Registered
283 Posts
At least 2gigs of space. What are you going to use to partition the drive? Are you going to use something like Partition Magic? But you could partition the drive/delete partitions anyway you want to with Partition Magic

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Im not clear on what your wanting to do, are you wanting the partition to just be large enough for the XP OS and nothing else ? If thats the case 2 gigs would be about the least you'd want to do ... Xp takes about 800mb - 1.2gb depending on install options.. and you have to save room for your pagefile which is normally around 400-500mb.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
plus you dont want the partition to be too small after that...you need to accout for SERVICE pack, HOT fixes, Security Patches...and other microsoft mistake fixers:winking:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm using P/Magic 7.0, will it's wizard walk me through? I've never had to use it before (with 60 gig HD), but knew I would need it. I never thought I'd have time to install new O/S but after " fatal error" and reformat, I decided I better make time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Partition Magic is has a pretty good user interface. It is very user friendly. Just follow the steps on how to create a partition and it should work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.